Search for content in message boards

Where did the name "Coney" originate?

Replies: 18
Posted: 22 Jun 2000 4:17AM GMT
Edited: 4 Jan 2003 12:07PM GMT
Dear G. Dekle Coney,
I have been reviewing some of the messages on the Coney board and find it very interesting.
I have come across the name Jeremiah Coney previously....while trying to search out facts
concerning my gggrandfather....whose name, and whose decendents name, is "COUEY". I found
a marriage connection in your family history which duplicates a marriage in my family's history.
John Couey married Elizabeth (Betsy) Gay, in Laurens Co., Ga. I have all the dates and they coincide.
Your family lists John Coney as the person who married Betsy Gay, also in Laurens Co., Ga. same date.
Your family's history does not list the children, grandchildren, etc. of this couple....but my
Couey family does.
I am interested in finding someone,such as yourself, who can help me clear up this descrepancy.
My John, is said to also be the son of John, who was the son of Samuel Couey. (from Ireland) These folk
it is said, came to South Carolina, through Charleston, in 1767. They came to be settled in the Abbeville
District. Subsequently, John moved to Georgia, where he married first, Sallie Fraiser. She died after only
a year or so of marriage. Elizabeth,(Betsy) Gay was his second wife and they were married for many years.
We have the records of his service in war of 1812, and of their marriage in 1820. He also applied for military
pension and later his widow, Betsy reapplied for her widow's pension benefits.
They had 11 children, including Henry Clay Couey, my great grandfather who in turn had 11 children, their 5th,
my grandfather....who had 7 children, including 2 sets of twins! and my father. Henry Clay and his wife are
buried in Florida...where they moved. This line continued in Florida and many live there still.
I am so curious as to the actual identity of John Couey/Coney. Can you help????? Thank you so much! Regards, Kathryn
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
CHARLETTA SALLIE CONEY 25 Aug 1999 8:28AM GMT 
G. DEKLE CONEY 18 Oct 1999 1:58PM GMT 
Mary 12 Feb 2000 11:20AM GMT 
Dekeconey 3 Jun 2000 9:19AM GMT 
KathrynHolt67 22 Jun 2000 10:17AM GMT 
Dekeconey 23 Jun 2000 9:18AM GMT 
Despina 29 Jul 2000 10:18PM GMT 
JosephineBass... 25 Oct 2000 12:33AM GMT 
Dekeconey 13 Jan 2002 2:18AM GMT 
Dekeconey 24 Mar 2000 1:41PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions