Search for content in message boards

ARE YOU A MOCCO?

Replies: 0

ARE YOU A MOCCO?

Posted: 6 Dec 2012 12:11AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Newball
From the 19th through the 20th centuries, individuals with the surname Newball, were called Mocco. From the 2nd half of the 1800's onwards it was perceived as an innocuous term. In a sense it was sometimes treated as a badge specific to Newballs. Not a bad thing.

After careful scrutiny my perception has changed. I believe the term was born out of negativity and its a dubious distinction. Some of us know what it meant, but didn't focus. My question now is why was the term applied only to Newballs?

Conjecture based on oral tradition, and what for lack of a better name, I call parallel history I have arrived at a tentative theorethical conclusion. I need other points of view particularly from Newballs in the archipelago who may provide a different perspective based on oral history or other sources to which they may have had access.

I am strongly inclined to believe that the term is connected to our english slave owning ancestor. Any information you can provide will be helpful.

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions