Search for content in message boards

Birkett Hodgson men

Replies: 0

Birkett Hodgson men

Posted: 7 Feb 2013 10:14AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Hodgson, Johnston, Gidlow, Birkett
My gggrandmother had a brother Robert Birkett Hodgson,born 1852, Liverpool. Their parents were Robert and Lydia (nee Johnston) Hodgson, married 1843 Liverpool. Lydia was born Whitehaven, Cumberland c.1817. Her husband was a mariner, not found on 1851 census. Widowed Lydia remarried early 1861. Robert Birkett Hodgson had only daughters, but his sibling Henry named a son Cecil Birkett Hodgson (b. 1884). I have recently found reference to James William Birkett Hodgson, Francis Henry Birkett Hodgson and Thomas Edward Birkett Hodgson. Researching these, I find they were brothers, born 1877, 1879 and 1881 in Preston, Lancs., where their father, James Birkett Hodgson (b. 1837, Preston) was a physician. Father James was born in the Preston area and married Jane Gidlow in 1877. I have found James on the 1841 census, the son of yet another James and his wife Catherine. The family was living at Trinity Place, Preston. I can't read the occupation of father James. Can anybody throw any light onto this "Birkett" forename that seems to be bestowed on boys but not girls. I have seen reference to a Birkett/Hodgson marriage on Public family trees, but that marriage is later than these occurrences. I have been unable to find out anything about my ggg-grandfather Robert Hodgson and am hoping that the Birkett name might open up an avenue of research.

Find a board about a specific topic