Search for content in message boards

Saxbergs in Kristianstad, Sweden in late 18th, early 19th century

Replies: 0

Saxbergs in Kristianstad, Sweden in late 18th, early 19th century

Posted: 8 Sep 2013 3:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Carlsson, Saxberg
Hi! I've been researching further into the history of my family in Sweden and noticed something unusual about their surnames. For at least three generations, as far back as I can trace, from about 1750 to 1875, the surname "Saxberg" was carried through the male line. I know that non-patronymic names were used in Sweden during that time period, but were somewhat uncommon. In my family, they used their patronymic name as a middle name and "Saxberg" as a surname, i.e. Carl Niklosson Saxberg. I can't find the meaning of the surname Saxburg and, even more curious, I'm not sure why my g-g-grandfather is named under the patronymic name system (Ola Carlsson) with no record of "Saxberg" at all. If anyone has any information about the origin of the surname "Saxberg" in this area or any ideas about why it would have eventually been dropped in favor of a patronymic surname (which was then maintained through the family's immigration to the US) I would love to hear from you! Thanks!

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions