Search for content in message boards

Nov. 4, 1879

This board is read-only and closed to new posts.
Replies: 0

Nov. 4, 1879

Anon (View posts)
Posted: 21 Feb 1999 5:00AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 23 Jun 2001 9:50AM GMT
Tues Nov 4 1879: Must Be Sold. Choice stock, hay, wagons, farming tools and household furniture, of Mrs. J.A. Atwood, Chestnut Hill, Mansfield, Conn. Cash buys them low.

2570. Tues Nov 4 1879: Farewell to Willimantic. A last chance to my patrons and the public generally. I have rented spacious and convenient rooms in Portland, Me. And will consequently close business in Willimantic, Nov. 20. The short time intervening will be given to a continuance of my best work at lowest prices. Thanking you as a community for past favors, let me urge you to come in with your farewell orders. Negatives made for the past eight years by Mr. Barber or myself, will be disposed of individually or in a lump. All bills owing will please be presented and those due paid before Nov. 20th. McKenney, Photo. Commercial block.

2571. Tues Nov 4 1879: Le Mare's celebrated Brazilian Rock Crystal Spectacles and Eye Glasses are the best that science has been able to produce. The lens are perfectly colorless, do not polarize light, have no prismatic colors or scattered rays common to glasses in use. The core or center of the lenses come directly in front of the eye and never tires the eyes, producing a clear and distinct vision, as in the natural healthy sight, their lasting qualities are such that frequent changing is unnecessary. They are mounted in Gold, Silver, Steel, Nickel, Rubber, and Shell frames of the best quality and with the latest improvements. For sale only in Willimantic by my authorized Agent, J.J. Robertson, Dealer in American and Swiss Watches, Clocks, Silver and Plated Ware, Jewelry, Spectacles and Gold Pens. Come and See. Franklin Building, opposite the Marble Front.

2572. Tues Nov 4 1879: Local Items.

What ails the doctors? Our upstreet undertakers haven't had a job for a week.

Mr. W.D. Pember is to start after election on a tour through the county selling trees and plants for J.A. Lewis.

Mr. John Nason of Eagleville has presented us with a California cucumber 11 1/2 inches in circumference and over 40 inches long. Who beats it?

Henry Robinson has taken a situation as telegraph messenger, and began his duties this morning. He found the hill country of Scotland rather lonesome.

Avery, in post office room is constantly adding new varieties of fruit and confectionery to his tempting stock. He intends to keep only the best and freshest goods.

2573. Tues Nov 4 1879: The nominees for representatives in Windham are--Republican, D.H. Clark, Jonathan Hatch; Democratic, Charles Congdon, E.H. Holmes Jr.; Prohibition, James. M. Hebbard, J.A. Lewis.

2574. Tues Nov 4 1879: The United States Street Lighting company of Boston has been awarded the contract of lighting our streets during the coming year at $10.50 per lamp. The price paid last year was $17.00

2575. Tues Nov 4 1879: A Change. It is nearly three years since the Enterprise was started as an experiment. It is now a demonstrated fact that Willimantic is big enough to support two newspapers. It has long been our desire to make the Enterprise better than it is, and to that end we have formed a co-partnership with Mr. J.A. McDonald, a practical printer of skill and experience, and in the course of a few weeks our paper will be enlarged to double its present size, making it the largest paper in the county. It has been thought advisable to change the name of the paper, and the new name will be announced next week. A new and splendid power press is in process of construction, upon which the new paper will be printed, and we hope to give our patrons a general newspaper as well as a good local paper.

2576. Tues Nov 4 1879: A Card. Having been transferred by the Wheeler & Wilson Mfg. Co., to another point, I take this method of informing my customers and friends of the change, and of thanking them for the uniform kindness and courtesy extended to me during my stay in Willimantic. I also desire to introduce to them and the good people of this locality generally, Mr. V.D. Macumber, who now represents the Wheeler & Wilson Mfg. Co. in Willimantic and vicinity, and to ask for him a continuation of the favors and patronage hitherto received by me. Respectfully, A.G. Cheney, 1338, Chestnut St., Phila, Pa.

2577. Tues Nov 4 1879: Coventry Chips.

A Teacher's Institute will be held in South Coventry the present week beginning at 9 o'clock on Thursday morning. All the exercises are open to the public. Teachers and school visitors will be entertained without charge. Free return tickets will be issued to those who come over the New London Northern and New York & New England railroads. The program is as follows: A.P. Somers, on "The Study of Common Objects." B.G. Northop,--"The New Methods in Quincy." Chas. Northend, with "a Class" from New Britain. Thursday, p.m., at 1:30, I.N. Caleton, on "Recitations, and how to conduct them." Dr. Chamberlain, on "School Hygiene." B.G. Northrop, on "Elementary Teaching." Thursday evening, at 7:30, Illustrated lecture on Jerusalem, by Rev. E.L. Clark, of New York. Friday, a.m. at 9, H.E. Sawyer,--"Illustrations in Teaching." B.G. Northrop,--"Study of the English Language." Miss C.E. Bush, on "History in Schools." Friday, p.m., at 1:30, A.E. Winship, late of the Normal School, on "Arithmetic." Wm. A. Mowry, of Providence,--"Our Purchase from Napoleon." B.G. Northrop, on "School Incentives," or "Memory and how to train it." Friday evening, at 7:30, Address by Governor Andrews. Saturday, a.m., at 9, Hon. J.W. Dickinson, Secretary of Massachusetts Board of Education, on "Oral Teaching." B.G. Northrop. Mr. Dickison will give the last exercise, closing at noon. Mr. Giles Potter will speak at some time during the Institute on "School Attendance."

2578. Tues Nov 4 1879: Pleasant Valley Prunings.

Notwithstanding the general scarcity of apples this year, Mr. Daniel Martin gathered nine bushels of Swaar apples from one tree which has been in bearing but four years.

Mr. Vallette D. Stearns purchased last week the farm owned and occupied by Widow John Atwood. This farm contains 70 acres of good land and joins Messrs. Stearns present farm on the west. Mr. Stearns will build a new barn on the farm the coming winter, and a new house in the Spring. The Stearns Brothers milk business has increased to that extent it became necessary to employ more cows in the production of milk to supply their customers, although they now have 27. The same wagon and horse will take all the milk from bot farms. We believe this purchase is a good investment--much safer than money put in banks or invested in any kind of stocks, and if we are not much mistaken, at the expiration of ten years, through the growth of Willimantic, will be so enhanced in value as to pay a large profit on the investment.

Last Saturday afternoon as we passed from the Linen Co's mills to the Brainard House, we counted 17 loads of birches for spools. This spool business alone puts in circulation among farmers a large amount of money. So many teams arriving about the same time, necessitated the waiting of some while others unloaded. We observed the drivers wore a cheerful countenance, for they knew there was money ahead.

2579. Tues Nov 4 1879: Scotland Squibs.

Mr. Warren Bingham was taken to Ledyard last week, where he will take up his abode for the present.

Charles L. Burnham is the republican nominee for representative from Scotland and Dwight Kimball the democratic.

Pinch street school commenced on Monday of this week--Miss Ella Sharpe, teacher.

Mr. Alfred Robinson and Miss Matilda Webb are making preparations to remove from their old home on Pudding Hill, to the village, to reside in the family of Mr. Abner Robinson.

Mr. Ervin Palmer of Hartford came to town yesterday for a vacation.

Rev. S.A. Davis preached at the Universalist church last Sunday.

Mr. C.D. Rice of Middletown was in town last week making arrangements for the Sheppard Jubilee singers to visit this place.

Mr. William F. Palmer had a severe attack of illness last week, but is now recovering.

Dr. A.D. Ayer has removed from Clinton, New York, to South Londonderry, Vermont.

Edgar E. Bass has taken a school in Eastford, and commenced his duties on Monday of this week.

Married--In Scotland, Oct. 27, by Rev. A.A. Hurd, Mr. John Huntington and Miss Carrie Pellett, both of Windham.

The reigning sensation in town at present is the coming marriage of one of Scotland's fairest daughters. Mr. Abijah Catlin Jr. of Hartford is to wed Miss Carrie F. Smith of this village. The ceremony will be performed in the Congregational church on Thursday, Nov. 13.

2580. Tues Nov 4 1879: Andover Atoms.

On Friday, W.N. Cleveland will have Fire Island oysters from B.S. Church, Norwich, also sausages from Dawes & Kinne, Norwich. These goods will be received fresh every Friday. Last year Mr. Cleveland sold 150 gallons of oysters and over a ton of sausages.

2581. Tues Nov 4 1879: Answers to Correspondents.

Mathematician--Your friend is correct. Three times two cats are six cats, and it makes no difference whether they are under the barn or in the back yard.

Farmer--We advise you to stick to the farm, for, although your salary as president of the United States would be larger than your present income, the work would be harder, and there would be more fault found with you.

Jerusha--You must obey your father. If he forbids your marriage because the young man is rich and you are poor, it is just your luck. However, in twelve years you will both be of age, and free to marry whomsoever you choose.

Find a board about a specific topic