Search for content in message boards

Nov. 11, 1879

This board is read-only and closed to new posts.
Replies: 0

Nov. 11, 1879

Anon (View posts)
Posted: 21 Feb 1999 5:00AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 23 Jun 2001 9:50AM GMT
Surnames: Riggs, Hughes, Clark, Hatch, Witter, Palmer, Leavitt, Hayden, Adams, Montgomery, Jennings, Wood, Little, Alpaugh, Sherman, Burnham, Storrs, Wilcox, Flint, Hawkins, Rogers, Sanderson, Nelligan, Shea, Leonard, Donnelly, Shea, Holland, Johnson, Sheehan, O'Loughlin, Keon, Murphy, Coffey, Hickey, Cole, Rogers, Thurber, Bingham, Hyde, Bill, Chapman, Cleveland, Hovey, Hendie, Jacobs, Holman, Warren, Hurlburt, Gildersleeve, Smith, Spaulding, Pickering, Ladd, Boyton, Strong, Burnham, Brown, Gager, Haxton, Lincoln, Bass, Kingsley, Champlain, Taylor, Edmonds
Tues Nov 11 1879: Local Items.

We hope to get our new paper in running order before Dec. 1.

Editor Luther H. Riggs of Meriden is suffering from numerous libel suits.

Edward Hughes was sent to Brooklyn last week for stealing an overcoat.

Sealed proposals for doctoring the town paupers will be received by the selectmen until next Saturday.

David H. Clark and Jonathan Hatch, both republicans, were elected representatives from Windham last Tuesday.

Mr. & Mrs. James Witter are expected home from Nebraska this week. Mr. Witter's sister, Mrs. Edwin Palmer arrived last week.

N.W. Leavitt is in Michigan with his Bell Ringers.

Several brilliant meteors were visible on Saturday night.

Hayden may die of old age before his murder trial ends. We pity the jury.

The Willimantic Journal has engaged a new cylinder press, which it has needed for some time.

The self-extinguishing street lamps are finding their way into neighboring villages quite extensively.

Thursday, Nov. 27th has been designated as a day of Thanksgiving by the President of the United States.

Mr. George Adams will give a social dance in West Ashford on Friday evening, Nov. 14. Tickets for dancing 50 cents.

Lost--On the road from Gurleyville to Willimantic, a black felt bonnet. The finder will please leave it at H.E. Remington's.

Gen. Butler is going to Cuba to spend the winter. He thinks that he is not needed in Massachusetts.

Rev. Hugh Montgomery has been appointed prosecuting agent in Norwich. He will be a zealous officer at least.

2583. Tues Nov 11 1879: A council has decided to dismiss Rev. W.J. Jennings from the pastorate of the church at North Coventry, at his own request. The dissolution will take effect to-morrow.

2584. Tues Nov 11 1879: Joseph Wood is now ready to receive orders for dyeing any kind of goods that can be dyed. Orders may be left at C.H. Little's on Bank street, or at J.M. Alpaugh's store.

2585. Tues Nov 11 1879: Mr. Oliver Sherman's horse took fright on Pleasant street last Saturday, and raw away throwing out Mr. Sherman and two youths, and demolishing the wagon. No one was hurt.

2586. Tues Nov 11 1879: A candy factory in Kansas City, Mo., blew up last Saturday, completely demolishing the building. Candy factories and flour mills are getting to be more dangerous than powder mills.

2587. Tues Nov 11 1879: Mr. George W. Burnham caught about a peck of rats last night, and had a grand match on Railroad street this morning between them and some dogs. Some of the rats were about a match for the dogs.

2588. Tues Nov 11 1879: Preparations for the enlargement of our paper are going forward as rapidly as possible, and we hope to be in our new quarters in H.C. Hall's building, on Union and Main streets before Thanksgiving.

2589. Tues Nov 11 1879: Isaac W. Storrs will sell at action at his residence in Mansfield, on Thursday, Nov. 13, 4 cows, a lot of young stock, farming tools, household furniture, beds, bedding etc. Sale to begin at 9 o'clock.

2590. Tues Nov 11 1879: The American Conflict has again made its appearance. It is printed in Norwich by Gordon Wilcox, and edited in Danielsonville by H.W. Brown. The paper is worthy of the patronage of our temperance people and we wish it success.

2591. Tues Nov 11 1879: The following persons have been recommended for license by the selectmen:--H.H. Flint, W.H. Hawkins, Fred Rogers, Isaac Sanderson, Michael Nelligan, Thos. Shea, Wilson & Leonard, Florence Donnelly, Dennis Shea, Edward E. Holland, Geo. F. Johnson, Owen Sheehan Jr., Ross O'Loughlin, Jas. J. Keon, John H. Murphy, Jerry J. Coffey, John Hickey, S.H. Cole, R.E. Rogers.

2592. Tues Nov 11 1879: A 51 hour go-as-you-please walking match will begin on Thursday evening of this week, at 7 o'clock, in Franklin hall, and finish at 10 o'clock Saturday evening. The purse is $75. The following names have been entered: A.J. Ainsworth of Springfield, Charles Wilson, a beginner who defeated Henry Mack in a 24 hour walking match in South Manchester, about two weeks since, and Champagne George of Windham. No smoking will be allowed in the hall and good order will be enforced. Good music will be furnished. Ladies free on opening night. Mr. L. H. Hall will start the pedestrians at the time advertised.

2593. Tues Nov 11 1879: Andover Atoms.

We have not had as lively a town meeting for a long time as the one last Tuesday. The Democrats run Edward Thurber and the Republicans Wm. C. Walker. No decision was reached as to which candidate was elected, and the House will probably decide the question.

Mrs. Cyrus Bingham recently lost a valuable horse, by colic.

Mrs. T.C.P. Hyde has recently purchased a new White & Wilcox cabinet organ.

A large number attended the Necktie sociable last Wednesday evening at Mrs. Gurley Phelps, for the benefit of Rev. Mr. Miller, pastor of Congregational church.

The house known as the Eleazer Bill house, was burned a few days ago. It was insured.

B. Frank Chapman returned one week ago from Westerly, R.I., where he had been spending some time.

Mr. W.N. Cleveland is offering agricultural implements, dry goods, groceries, provisions, etc., at low prices for cash, give him a call before purchasing elsewhere.

Mrs. Hovey of Willimantic is the guest of Miss Elizabeth Hendie of this place.

2594. Tues Nov 11 1879: Pleasant Valley Prunings.

Mr. David H. Jacobs takes the place of Mr. E.R. Holman peddling milk.

Mr. Arnold Warren of South Coventry has broken ground for a new barn to be erected in the spring. It is to be 40x60 feet, 18 feet posts, with cellar the size of barn, and will be so arranged as to drive in at the gable end above the great beams, so all hay will be pitched down, thereby saving a great amount of hard labor.

2595. Tues Nov 11 1879: Portland Points.

The United States Stamping Co. are erecting a fine two story brick house sixty by one hundred feet.

Mr. Chester Hurlburt has gathered two hundred and ninety-five bushels of cranberries from five acres. He retails them at eight cents per quart, and considering their fine quality, and cheap.

Mr. Ferdinand Gildersleeve, President of the First National Bank, and Addie E., youngest daughter of the late Wm. R. Smith, were married Oct. 29th, at 5:45 p.m., in the Episcopal chapel, by the rector, Rev. James F. Spaulding. They left on the 6:30 train for Washington to be absent about two weeks.

The business of J.R. Pickering & Co. is rapidly increasing, and they will soon make important improvements. They have just signed a contract with the Air Line R.R. Co., for finishing a steam engine with necessary machinery for moving the draw bridge between this place and Middletown. Two men will then be able to do the work now requiring six or eight.

It is rumored that we are to have a new physician in this place--that Dr. Ladd of Hartford has rented the house lately vacated by Rev. Wm. B. Lee.

Capt. Paul Boyton passed here Thursday afternoon on his trip down the river. The entertaining exhibition given by him, in his rubber suit, last summer on Boyton Lake, is pleasantly remembered by our people, and called out a throng of eager spectators to witness his approach. He was about seven hours and a quarter coming from Hartford to Portland, a distance of nineteen miles.

Mr. and Mrs. Strong of Middletown, formerly of Portland, were thrown from their carriage Saturday evening, and Mrs. Strong had both wrists broken.

2596. Tues Nov 11 1879: Scotland Squibs.

Mr. Charles L. Burnham was elected representative by a small majority.

Mr. George Brown's little girl fell down stairs and broke her arm on Sunday. Dr. Gallup of Willimantic was called and reduced the fracture.

Mr. John P. Gager's new house below the mill is finished on the exterior.

Mrs. Haxton, one of our oldest residents was buried on Sunday.

Mr. George Lincoln of Andover gave us a temperance lecture on evening.

Mr. Wilton Bass is expected home from Nebraska to spend the winter in Scotland.

2597. Tues Nov 11 1879: Village Hill Varieties.

Our school closed last week with the best of success, as Miss Kingsley always has. Since the close of school the house has received a nice coat of paint, which improves the looks of it very much. We understand it is to have another.

Mr. Joseph Brown has recently painted and blinded his house, which is an improvement to the street.

Samuel Champlain while cutting kindlings, cut his foot very badly, severing several arteries. Dr. Hills was called and dressed the wound, it will probably lay him up some time. Chas. Jordan also split his toe while cutting birches.

2598. Tues Nov 11 1879: Died.

Taylor--In Willimantic, Nov. 7, Rezetta Taylor, aged 54.

Haxton--In Scotland, Nov. 8, Mrs. Lucy Haxton, aged 78.

Edmonds--In Willimantic, Nov. 9, Luther Edmonds, aged 46.

2599. Tues Nov 11 1879: Lawyers and Bullfrogs. Introduction to the following song. On a dark, cloudy dismal night in the month of July, A.D. 1758, the inhabitants of Windham, a small town in the Eastern part of Connecticut, (family prayer having been duly and reverently performed around each altar,) had retired to rest, and for several hours, all were wrapped in sound repose--when suddenly, soon after midnight, the slumbers of the peaceful inhabitants were disturbed by a most terrific noise in the sky right over their heads, which to many, seemed the yells and screeches of infuriated Indians, and others had no other way for accounting the awful sounds which still kept increasing, but by supposing the day of judgment had certainly come, and to their terrified imaginations, the awful uproar in the air, seemed the immediate precursor of the clangor of the last trumpet--At intervals, many supposed they could distinguish the calling out of the particular names, as of Col. Dyer, and Elderkin, two eminent layers, and this increased the general terror. It was told me, by my reverand Grandmother, and I do not doubt the fact in the least, as it has been confirmed by many other aged and venerable standbys of the town both male and female, that the minister of the Parish, surrounded by his trembling family fell on his knees in an agony of prayer, (and as expressed in the verses which follow) in his garden among the bean-poles, (but this probably is an embellishment of the poet,) and that by a simultaneous movement, a great proportion of the inhabitants resorted to the same expedient for succor--but soon there was a rush from every house, the tumult in the air still increasing--Old and young, male and female, poured forth into the streets, "in puris naturalibus," entirely forgetful, in their hurry and consternation, of their nether habiliments, and with eyes upturned tried to pierce the almost palpable darkness--My venerable informant, who well recollects the event, says that some daring "spirits" concluding there was nothing supernatural in the hubbub and roar overhead, but rather, that they heard the yells of Indians commencing a midnight attack, loaded their guns and sallied forth to meet the invading foes. These valiant heroes on ascending the hill that bounds the village on the East, perceived that the sounds came from that quarter, and not from the skies, as first believed, but their courage would not permit them to proceed to the daring extremity, of advancing Eastward, until they should discover the real cause of alarm and distress, which pervaded the whole village--Towards morning the sounds in the air seemed to die away, and the horror-stricken Windhamites, discovering that no Indians made an attack, and that, for that time, they had escaped from being called to their account, (a general impression prevailed for a time among the females, and the more timid part of the male population, that the day of judgment was at hand,) retired again to rest, but not until the two robust Colonels had planted sentinels in every place where there was the least danger of an attack from the Indians--In the morning, the whole cause of alarm, which produced such distressing apprehensions among the good people of the town, was apparent to all who took the trouble to go to a certain mill pond situated about three fourths of a mile Eastward of the village--This pond, hereafter, in the annals of Fame, forever to be called the FROG POND, in consequence of a severe drought, which had prevailed for many weeks, had become nearly dry, and the Bullfrogs, with which it was densely populated, at the mill alluded to, fought a pitched battle on the sides of the ditch which ran through it, for the possession and enjoyment of the fluid which remained--And long and obstinately was the contest maintained--And many thousands of the combatants were found defunct on both sides of the ditch the next morning--It had been uncommonly still, for several hours before the battle commenced, but suddenly, as if by a preconcerted agreement, every frog on one side of the ditch, raised the war cry, Colonel Dyer, Colonel Dyer, and at the same instant, from the opposite side responded the adverse shout of Elderkin too, Elderkin too.--Owing to some peculiar state of the atmosphere, the awful noises and cries appeared, to the distressed Windhamites to be directly over their heads, and considering all circumstances, it is not at all surprising that many ludicrous and even distressing events should have occurred on that eventful night among the affrighted people of the city of the "BULL FROGS."
Windham, Connecticut Bull-Frog Song.

Good people all both great and small,
Of every occupation,
I pray draw near and lend an ear,
To this, our true relation.

'Twas of a fright happen'd one night,
Caus'd by the bullfrog nation,
As strange an one as ever was known,
In all our generation.

The frogs we hear in bullfrogshire,
Their chorister had buried,
The sadest loss and greatest cross
That ever they endur'd.

Thus being deprived they soon contriv'd
Their friends to send to greeting,
Even to all both great and small,
To hold a general meeting.

Subjects and lords with one accord,
Now came with bowels yearning,
For to supply and qualify,
And fit a frog for learning.

For to supply immediately,
The place of their deceased,
There did they find one to their mind,
Which soon their sorrow eased.

This being done the glorious sun
Being down and night advancing,
With great delight they spent the night
In music and in dancing.

And when they sun the air it run,
And when they broke in laughter,
It did surprise both learned and wise,
As you shall find hereafter.

A negro man, we understand,
Awoke and heard the shouting,
He ne'er went abroad but awak'd his lord,
Which filled their hearts with doubting.

They then did rise with great surprise,
And raised the town or city,
Although before unto the poor,
They ne'er would show pity.

With one accord they went abroad,
And stood awhile to wonder,
The bullfrog shout appears no doubt,
To them like claps of thunder.

Which made them say, the judgment day,
Without a doubt was coming,
For in the air they did declare,
Was very awful drumming.

Those lawyers fees would give no ease,
Tho' they well once inditing,
To pray they kneel alas they feel
The worm of conscience biting.

Being thus dismay'd one of them said,
He would make restitution,
He would restore one half or more,
This was his resolution.

Another's heart was touched in part,
But not pricked to the centre,
Rather than pay one half away,
His soul he said he'd venture.

Then they agreed to go with speed
And see what was the matter,
And as they say that by the way,
Repenting tears did scatter.

They traveled still into the hill,
Where those men they did rally,
And soon they found the doleful sound,
To come out of the valley.

Then down they went with one consent,
And found those frogs a singing;
Raising their voice for to rejoice,
This was the doleful ringing.

Home those great men returned them,
Filled with wrath and malice,
And mustered all both great and small,
From prison and from palace.

Swearing I say thus in array,
To be revenged upon them,
Thinking it best I do protest,
To go and fall upon them.

Then armed all both great and small,
With guns and swords and hatchets,
An indian king could never bring
An army that could match it.

Old Stoughton he ran and charg'd up his gun,
And flourished his sword in the air,
'And not be stout' but at last he gave out,
And fell on his knees to prayer.

And armed with fury both Judge and Jury,
To the Frog-Pond moved,
As they say, a fatal day
To the frogs it proved.

This terrible night, the Parson did fright,
His people almost in despair,
For poor Windham souls, among the bean-poles,
He made a most wonderful prayer.

Lawyer Lucifer called up his crew,
Dyer and Elderkin you must come too,
Old Col. Dyer you know well enough,
He had an old Negro his name was Cuff.

Now massa says Cuff, I'm now glad enough,
For what little comfort I have,
I make it no doubt, my time is just out,
No longer shall I be a slave.

As for Larabie, so quiet was he,
He durst not stir out of his house,
The poor guilty soul crept into his hole,
And there lay as still as a mouse.

As for Jemmy Flint, he began to repent,
For a Bible he ne'er had known,
His life was so bd, he'd give half he had,
To old father Stoughton for one.

Those armed men they killed then,
And scalpt about two hundred,
Talking I say their lives away;
And then their camp they plundered.

Those lusty frogs, they fought like dogs,
For which I do commend them,
But lost the day, for want I say,
Of weapons to defend them.

Then with a shout they turned about,
And said ne'er new been crafty,
Our city's peace shall now increase,
And we shall dwell in safety.

Home those great men return'd then,
Unto the town with fury,
And swear those frogs were saucy dogs,
Before both judge and jury.

I had this story set before me,
Just as I have writ it,
It being so new so strange and true,
I could not well omit it.

Lawyers I say now from this day,
Be honest in your dealing,
And ne'er more increase your store,
While you the poor are killing.

For if you do ill, I'll have you know,
Conscience again will smite you,
The bullfrog shout will ne'er give out,
But rise again and fight you.

Now Lawyers, Parsons, Bullfrogs all,
I bid you each farewell,
And unto you I loudly call,
A better tale to tell.

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions