Graham III, John W.

Replies: 0

Graham III, John W.

Posted: 7 Jun 2008 10:36AM GMT
Classification: Obituary
Surnames: Graham,Comstock
Graham III, John W.
Wednesday, June 04, 2008

John William Graham III, 40, died peacefully and surrounded by family in his Hopewell, Virginia home on Tuesday, June 3, 2008. He was a senior project manager in variable annuities for GenWorth Financial in Richmond VA.
He is survived by his parents, Bill and Gail Graham of Hopewell; his sister, Mary Elizabeth Graham of Richmond; aunts and uncles, Bill and Dayla Gammon of Towson, MD, and Robert J. and Katherine Clements of Raleigh, NC; seven cousins; and many fond friends and co-workers.
A native of Richmond,VA John was raised in Hopewell. He graduated from Petersburg’s Gibbons High School in1985 and Randolph Macon College with a degree in history in 1989. While at RMC he was a member of Phi Kappa Sigma fraternity, which he served as president during his junior year.
John loved music from the classics to rock and traveled widely to attend concerts by The Grateful Dead and their cover bands. He played golf as a way to indulge his love of nature and birds and continued to study history, especially the Civil War.
John’s remains will rest from noon Friday to noon Saturday at the Hopewell Chapel of J.T. Morriss and Son Funeral Home and Cremation Service. The family will receive friends at his parents’ home, 706 Mansion Drive, Hopewell.
A funeral service will be held Saturday at 2 p.m. at First Presbyterian Church, Hopewell, with the Rev. Dr. Ronald K. Bullis officiating. John will be laid to rest at Blandford Cemetery in Petersburg VA beside his much adored paternal grandmother, Mabel Comstock Graham.
Memorial contributions may be made to First Presbyterian Church (1107 West Broadway, Hopewell, VA 23860) or the PKD Foundation (9221 Ward Parkway, Suite 400, Kansas City, MO 64114).

Condolences

I was a classmate of John's at R-MC and am very sad to hear of the news. John had such a joy of life, was always friendly, nice and loads of FUN! A truly unforgetable person. My heartfelt prayers and thoughts go out to The Graham Family.
Mary B. Young Moore R-MC'89
Posted by: Mary B. Young Moore at June 6, 2008 06:11 PM

I worked with John for 2 years when I was in Richmond, and had the dubious "honor" of playing golf with him on a couple of occasions. He was a great guy, a hard worker, and one of the most interesting people I ever met. I'm sorry to have lost touch with him after moving back to Florida, but value the brief time we shared. We are all richer to have known him.
Michelle Doherty
Posted by: Michelle Doherty at June 6, 2008 05:33 PM

John was such a great friend! His big loving heart, caring tender ways, and sense of humor kept it real during those formative years in college. His friendship made ALL the difference to me (and I know all the Phi Kap brothers and sisters can say the same!) His presence was enormous...we had so many good laughs and good times...Thanks John! For the Graham Family- I'm so sorry...let that pain flow on out. You are in my thoughts and prayers. Mary- he spoke of you often and was very proud of his sister! Peace- mattie
Posted by: Mattie Brown at June 6, 2008 01:26 PM

Gail, Bill, Mary, and all,

This obituary gives glimpses of what an incredible person John was and what a joy it was to know him. He brought joy and laughter wherever he went and I am honored and thankful that he chose me to be so close to during such an important time in both of our lives. I will miss him greatly.

Jason White
Posted by: Jason White at June 6, 2008 10:54 AM

You were a good friend for 15 years and you will live on forever within the hearts of my family and me. We love you and will miss you dearly but will never forget your great personality, humor and wit. I love you John and will see you again down the road ole buddy.

James B Norman
Posted by: James Bentley Norman at June 5, 2008 09:20 PM

Miss you terribly, my friend! I am blessed with 23 years of wonderful memories of our time together which will never fade! Rest in peace, John! So glad to know and love your family - I am so sorry!! Bobby T
Posted by: Bob Thornton at June 5, 2008 10:24 AM

I am very sorry to hear about your loss. My prayers are with you at this time of grief. I worked with John on various projects and through all the times we managed to keep a strong outlook. We would talk about golf and some hapless Philadelphia sports teams and I am thankful to have known him. I wish you comfort in his peaceful resting.
-Greg Goldberg
Posted by: Greg Goldberg at June 5, 2008 09:37 AM

My thoughts and prayers go out to the Graham family. I will truly miss John's passion for sports and our intense discussions around football and his beloved Redskins. He had an incredible sense of humor and he and it will be missed by many.

Respectfully,

Jim Miller
Posted by: Jim Miller at June 4, 2008 04:31 PM

I feel terrible for your loss. I worked with John at Genworth and always found him to be up beat no matter what was going on around him. He made several important contributions to projects we worked on together and was a valued and fun member of any team.

My thoughts are with you.

Ron
Posted by: Ron Felmus at June 4, 2008 03:05 PM

Gail and family - I am so very sorry to hear of your loss. I cannot even begin to imagine what you must be going through at this time. Please know that you are in my thoughts and prayers.

Cyndi Gonzales
Posted by: Cyndi Gonzales at June 4, 2008 11:44 AM

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions