JOSEPH CHAMP BERRY. Untrammeled by tradition, free to work out his own ideas, an architect in a new country has a great field, but he also has a great responsibility. American people are but just awakening to the fact that Europe has realized for centuries the importance of beauty as well as utility in architecture. In Amarillo, Texas, Joseph C. Berry is trying to follow out his ideals of the beautiful, and the practical success with which he is meeting is a credit not only to his ability as an architect but to the strength of his own personality. Joseph Champ Berry was born in Angelina county, Texas, on the 15th of October, 1874. He is the son of William Thaddeus Berry,' also a native of Texas, and the son of Andrew Berry. The latter was born
in Alabama and was one of the very early pioneers of the state of Texas, for he came into the state in 1828. His brother, Sam Berry, was a Texas Ranger and a well- known man in Brown county, Texas. He served the state as a ranger for about eight years. Andrew Berry was engaged in stock raising and' in agricultural pursuits and was quite successful. He was a Democrat and a member of the Baptist church. He died in 1887, having lived to see the remarkable growth of the state which was practically all frontier when he located therein. He died in Angelina county, Texas and it was here that his son, William T. Berry, was born and reared. When the latter was old enough to earn his own living he went into the cattle business. In 1875 he removed to Stephens county, and he is Bnow living retired in Wellington, Texas, having gained during his active life a comfortable fortune. William T. Berry married Sally Berry, a second cousin and a native of Texas. She also is living, and is the mother of eight children, of whom Joseph C. Berry is the eldest. The first schooling that Joseph C. Berry received was in Stephens county, Texas, in the country schools. He only went to school until he was twelve years old,
the family moving into Indian Territory, now Oklahoma, at that time, and the rest of his education he gained by his own efforts. His early life was spent on the ranch and range in the Indian Territory until he was eighteen years of age. He then determined to learn the architect 's profession, and as a preparation for this he learned the carpenter's trade, drifting into the contracting business, coupled with architecture, which he followed until he was twenty-eight years of age. With this practical foundation he studied architecture with the International Correspondence Schools of Scranton, Pennsylvania, completing the courses offered by that excellent institution. His first work in his new business was in the office of F. A. Buse, of El Reno,OK in what was then the Indian Territory. In 1904 he went into partnership with F. A. Buse, and they established the firm of Buse and Berry in Sulphur Springs, Oklahoma. After one year in this connection he next spent two years in business for himself.
At the end of this time he removed to Amarillo, Texas, this being in 1906. He formed a partnership with George Parr, under the firm name of Parr and Berry, this continuing for two years. He next became a partner of A. W'heatley in the firm of Berry & Wheatley, and they did a very successful business until 1909, when the partnership
was dissolved. His next association was with S. W. Bay in the firm
of Bay and Berry, and until January, 1913, this partnership was continued. At this date Mr. Berry, retaining the firm's offices and business, continued in the business for himself
alone and has continued alone since that time. He has been the architect or the joint architect of many of the best buildings in Amarillo,Texas
and has been connected with the erection of some of the best
buildings in the state. Among the handsome residences
of which he is the architect may be mentioned the
Bishop Temple residence and the home of J. M. Sheldon.
In politics Mr. Berry is a Democrat and although he
takes a very active part in civic and political affairs he
has never sought or held office. He is a member of the
Independent Order of Odd Fellows and of the Woodmen
of the World. He belongs to the Chamber of Commerce,
and his religious affiliations are with the Christian church.
He built a beautiful home on Jefferson street and
Eighth avenue, in which he lives, and his offices are in
the Fuqua building.
Mr. Berry was married in 1894 to Miss Ada Brewster,
and three children were born of this union. His second
marriage was in 1907 to Miss Addie Hodge, a native of
Texas, and a member of one of the old families of the
state. She was reared in Tyler, Texas, and two children
have been born to herself and her husband.