Here is what I have on Silas Lewis, son of Captain James Lewis II and Martha Collins. Including a photo of his tomb stone. ================================================================================================
Silas Lewis was born in 1774 in Marlborough, New Hampshire, and grew up raising farm animals and working the land. At the age of twenty-two, news came around that free land was obtainable in Lower Canada, the opportunity was too tempting and he left Marlborough to live near his brother Ezekiel in Shefford Township who established there 3 years prior. When Silas first arrived in Shefford he boarded with Ezekiel until a place of his own was built. In the spring of 1797, he fell the first tree on lot 22 in the 3rd range in Shefford located today on Clark Hill Street, Waterloo, Quebec. The logs were cut into planks and boards at Ezekiel's sawmill. He cleared thirty acres of land prior of receiving his grant. This lot was originally offered to Alexander Scott who relinquished his petition and settled in Farnham, Quebec. Meetings with the other settlers including Captain John Savage, leader of the township of Shefford was the next step to become an associate. Those meetings with John Savage were fruitful as Silas fell in love with his daughter, Mary 'Polly' Savage who was born May 2nd, 1779 in King's District, Columbia, New York. Silas and Mary were married about the year 1799 and soon a family of nine was upon them; Rhoda, Lynda, Mary, Amasa, Stewart, Harriett, Silas Jr., Diana, and Laura. Silas took the oath of allegiance to the King of England at Missisquoi Bay on July 10th, 1799. When the Letters Patent for Shefford Township was signed on February 20th, 1801, Silas and Ezekiel received their grant and both received twelve hundred acres of land. Silas' grant included the lot located on Clark Hill, also the lots 26 and 27 in the 5th range and the lots 25, 26 and 27 in the 6th range. In the year 1804, Silas sold his land and improvements to Daniel Clark of Alburgh, Vermont. Silas, his wife Mary and three daughters at the time, Rhoda, Lynda, Mary all moved to West Shefford for a year’s tearm then moved on lot 19 in the 3rd range in Shefford next to his brother Ezekiel who also moved from his original lot in 1804. Silas' farm was located today on corner of Lewis and Western Street, Waterloo, Quebec where the Jacques-Chagnon Arena stands today. For many years Silas and Ezekiel traveled and hunted together, bringing their sons along. Silas was devoted to the Episcopal Church, as he witness many births, baptisms, weddings and the deceased in Shefford. He spent most of his time raising his family and working on his farm. He was a quiet man with great virtues and respect amongst his friends. He was a private during the 1812 war in the 2nd batallion of the Eastern Township Militia led by his brother Captain Ezekiel Lewis, although they were never engaged in any battle. In his old age, his sight was failing to the point he could not see to write his name and his wife Mary could not write from infirmity of her hands. Their son Amasa took over the farm and helped his parents until their death. Silas Lewis died in September 10, 1849 and Mary Savage died January 17, 1860. They are both buried in the Waterloo Cemetery on Court Street, Waterloo, Quebec, Canada.