Search for content in message boards

Deborah DeCostello stunt flying........Ethel Dare/Margie Hobbs?

Replies: 20

Deborah DeCostello stunt flying........Ethel Dare/Margie Hobbs?

GJEllis (View posts)
Posted: 2 Dec 2001 6:29AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: DeCostello Hobbs Tinney
I'm searching for information about a woman who jumped (to her death) from a stunt plane at a fair in Empire MI 1920. She was flying in a plane with this on it's side---> Ethel Dare the Flying Witch. I know that there was a woman named Margie Hobbs who had that name of Ethel Dare, but I found she left flying after she was banned from flying in 1920. The poster for the fair in 1920, Empire, MI said the Tinney Flyers hired Deborah DeCostello for stunt flying. The local Empire Area buried Deborah in 1920, after raising money from local people to bury her. No relatives or friends came to her funeral. I'm hoping to fill in some information about Deborah DeCostello as the local, Empire Museum has no information about her family or where she came from. No one came to claim her body and she is buried in the local Catholic Cemetery in Empire. Please mail me any clues you may have, as I am clueless. I had thought at one time that Deborah and Ethel Dare (Margie Hobbs) could be the same person. The information I found on Margie Hobbs said she returned to trapeze and vaudeville after she was fired (1920) from Tinney Flyers. She was fired because Myron L. Tinney tryed to duplicate her daring wingwalking feats and died trying. The next day she repeated her wing walking feat and was fired. Any information about Margie or Deborah DeCostello would be greatly appreciated.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
GJEllis 2 Dec 2001 1:29PM GMT 
RUTERBUSCH 5 Mar 2002 5:00AM GMT 
gloriaellis4 5 Mar 2002 5:31AM GMT 
RUTERBUSCH 5 Mar 2002 10:07PM GMT 
GJEllis 6 Mar 2002 2:10AM GMT 
Kris Butchart 8 Apr 2002 2:46AM GMT 
rueterbusch 24 Feb 2007 4:54AM GMT 
kmbutchart 28 Feb 2007 10:11PM GMT 
chris11119 28 Apr 2007 10:20PM GMT 
MarnieZeigler 4 Jun 2007 10:13PM GMT 
per page