Search for content in message boards

Claude Gerald Hartley

Replies: 1

Claude Gerald Hartley

Posted: 23 Jun 2012 2:16PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 4 Mar 2013 5:43PM GMT
Surnames: Hartley, Levy
I have a cousin, Claude Gerald Hartley (b 12 Jun 1894 in Cedar Rapids, Iowa), who worked for the Flack North Western Carnival Show in May 1917 (where it was in Detroit, Michigan), as indicated in his WWI draft card. I'm not sure how long he worked for them, or even what he did. He said that he was transient, in the sense that he had no permanent home besides the circus wherever it was. I find him again in the 1942 WW2 Old Man's draft and he appeared to still be in the business, this time not naming the show but his employer, Lawrence T. Levy, 5713 Euclid Ave, Cleveland, Ohio. Further research has revealed that Levy was Lawrence Thorsch Levy (1898-1960), a sales manager for a chemical/drug supply company. Not sure what Claude did for him, maybe be a bodyguard, or go-to guy, or ???

Claude was not married in either draft cards, but he may or may not have married at some point. I can't find him in any of the censuses after 1910, when he lived with his mother, Mina "Minnie" (Mitchell) Hartley Dullaghan Tourville. I have no idea where he died. His mother disappeared from any record I can find after 1910 [NOTE: she died in 1910], and his father, Edgar Otho Hartley, had remarried and moved to Minnesota (dying in 1918). He had one full brother who died in 1913, and I'm not sure what his relationship was with his half-siblings through his father.

Any info on Claude Gerald Hartley would be great. He died sometime after 27 Apr 1942 (date of old man's draft card), perhaps many decades later.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
CManczuk 23 Jun 2012 8:16PM GMT 
CManczuk 12 Sep 2012 4:59AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions