Jim I think several things go on...
1. Sometimes the name is Stenger, Stanger, Staenger, Stinger, Stingre.... so you have to check all of them.
2. Names sort of came down in the families. I have lots of Jabobs at various times sometimes with Jacob (Jacques and sometimes as Hans or John because not all transcribers get what names equal each other) as a first name and sometimes as a second name. Often the family called these folks by the second name. So he may be on a list as Jean or Martin or something else.
3. Not all records from that time still exist. Always an issue.
4. Not everything has been transcribed.
5. Alsace Lorraine is a big area. Without a village it is hard to know where to look.
6. Some Stenger were glassmakers and they are easier to find because of the ties to the glass factories. This one seems to be a landlord... he may have a family connection to glass but we don't know that.
Now the good news... I have several very accomplished Stenger researchers looking at this and I see I have about 20 emails I need to look through. There may be something in one of them. I was out of town and just got home... so give me a little bit of time to work through them.