Search for content in message boards

Depression Era McRoberts, Kentucky

Replies: 7

Depression Era McRoberts, Kentucky

Posted: 26 Sep 2004 9:59AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 26 Sep 2004 10:00AM GMT
Surnames: Champions
My mother, Bonnie Champion, was born in Seco, KY; however, her family later moved to McRoberts, where she grew up and stayed until she moved to Michigan in the mid-1940s. Her parents were Elam and Pearl Champion, and she had many brothers and sisters (12), two of which died in infancy. Unfortunately, my mother has since died of cancer in December 1999. Only Helen, Del, Dan, and Ronald survive of those twelve Champion children who also grew up in McRoberts in the Depression era years.
Her family shared a coal company-owned duplex home (of sorts) with the Wojciewski (spelling?) family in Chopping Branch. She often talked about George, Frances, and the other Wojciewski's as being such good friends--as close as brothers and sisters to her.
I am currently working on a children's book about my mother's experiences growing up in McRoberts. She spoke fondly (and often) about those days, but I fail to remember a lot of the details she was so good at including in her stories. Because of this, I'm trying to find information on the following, so that my book can be as authentic as possible:
1. In the years after the Depression, my mother often talked about the town celebrating May Day. Does anyone with McRoberts roots recall the words to a song or chant the children did as they danced around the May Pole--as well as any other activities that took place related to these festivities?
2. I'm also trying to determine where a few buildings/sites were located in relationship to each other. I've been unable to find a map or anyone who can help me out with this. These sites would include the grade school (the real title?), the McRoberts company store (as well as the actual name of it), where in town the May Pole would have been located, as well as where my mother's house in Chopping Branch was located in relationship to the heart of the town and the other buildings mentioned above.
3. Is Chopping Branch named after a stream or river that went through that section of town? Is Chopping Branch considered to be a "hollow?"
4. Did the company store sell groceries and dry goods?
I apologize for so many questions; however, any info anyone is willing to share will be greatly appreciated.
Sharon Jones
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
jnsshrn 26 Sep 2004 3:59PM GMT 
Lisa Peters 27 Sep 2004 3:36PM GMT 
Sharon 27 Sep 2004 4:11PM GMT 
winifredtacke... 29 Sep 2004 1:43AM GMT 
Kyle B 11 Jan 2005 6:05AM GMT 
gary baldwin 22 Sep 2005 12:18AM GMT 
Sharon Jones 22 Sep 2005 12:57AM GMT 
molnerdavid 17 Oct 2012 10:51PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions