Search for content in message boards

Falsified Death Certs after PA Mine accidents

Replies: 4

Falsified Death Certs after PA Mine accidents

Posted: 4 Feb 2013 7:57AM GMT
Classification: Query
Was it a common practice for Pennsylvania mining company personnel, perhaps a mining company doctor, to supply the death certificates for miners killed in fatal accidents without consulting the family for the miner's personal data? Time period is 1906-1910.

I have two death certificates from a father and son killed in separate accidents, three years apart. On one, the distinctive handwriting of the attending physician fills in both the medical and personal data sections. The same physician fills in the medical data on the second certificate with the personal data in another hand. In both cases, the personal data is so far off that it can reasonably be said it was fabricated. The motive may have been altruistic to save the family the pain of filling in the death certificate or it may have been to expedite the paperwork. Newspaper, family papers, and other evidence makes it clear these are the correct death certificates for the individuals.

Anyone else seen this phenomenon?
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
oxsmith 4 Feb 2013 2:57PM GMT 
shepard999 5 Feb 2013 3:32AM GMT 
oxsmith 5 Feb 2013 4:02PM GMT 
shepard999 5 Feb 2013 6:28PM GMT 
josie8862 6 Feb 2013 4:35AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions