Search for content in message boards

Frank Kosin, 1890s-1930s Nanticoke, Luzerne

Replies: 2

Frank Kosin, 1890s-1930s Nanticoke, Luzerne

Posted: 5 Feb 2014 6:37PM GMT
Classification: Query
Hi --

I'm searching for my great-great grandfather, Frank Kosin (sometimes named Frederico Kosin or Koshion). I know he was born in Poland in August of 1869, immigrated to the US around 1885, and married my great-great grandmother, Annie Neiman, in Nanticoke, Luzerne County at St. Stanislaus' Church on August 26, 1890. They had my great-grandmother, Helena M. Kosin, May 4, 1892 in Nanticoke.

And that's about all I know (or can find out). I know that his wife Annie left him shortly after Helen was born, and, after declaring divorce proceeding due to abandonment, he remarries and has several children (all in Nanticoke). The only census record I can find with him listed is the 1930 census, where he's living in Nanticoke, aged 61, with the occupation of coal miner.

I would suppose this wasn't a new job for him (though I have no records of him/his work prior to his 1890 marriage license, or after that). Is there any way I can research him through Nanticoke area mining records?

I cannot find clues to him anywhere (Polish birth records online, US census, immigration records, nothing. I am sure his name variants are helping to impede this search, too!). So, perhaps, mining records may offer some hint. The family his daughter, Helen, married into, the Swidrowski/Swithers family, were also miners, so this could be useful information all around.

Thank you so very much for any suggestions you may have. I just cannot think of any other avenue down which to look for my great-great-grandfather.

Meredith
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
mloncaric13 6 Feb 2014 1:37AM GMT 
shepard999 29 Mar 2014 1:18AM GMT 
mloncaric13 29 Mar 2014 3:25PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic