Search for content in message boards

Loyal Hanna #6 & 7, Cairnbrook, PA

Replies: 15

Loyal Hanna #6 & 7, Cairnbrook, PA

Posted: 19 Jan 2003 7:03PM GMT
Classification: Lookup
Edited: 29 Oct 2005 6:45PM GMT
Surnames: McGregor
Here is an excerpt from a govt. publication of historic engineering & industrial sites.

Loyal Hanna Coal and Coke Company: Loyal Hanna No. 6 and No. 7 and Cairnbrook (Company Town),
Intersection of Windber Avenue and McGregor Avenue
Construction date: 1912
Location: Shade Township (Somerset County, PA)

On the east side of Cairnbrook is the mine site. A large motor/repair barn with mine car tracks inside, an adjacent supply house, and a substation to the east are all tall, one-story ashlar stone buildings with brick cornices and slightly arched brick lintels and slightly-pitched gable roofs. Located along a former spur from the South Fork Branch of the Pennsylvania Railroad is a two-story gabled-roof brick mule barn. Also extant is a lime shanty, oil shanty, and water pumphouse. There is no lamphouse. Carbide lights were always used at this facility.

HISTORY: The company town of Cairnbrook was laid out and built by the Loyal Hanna Coal and Coke Company of Philadelphia in 1912 on part of the Jacob McGregor farm. A post office was established in the town two years later. To the west of the company store, once served by a spur from the South Fork Branch of the Pennsylvania Railroad, stood a company recreation hall, movie theater and fire hall. Mine buildings no longer extant at the Loyal Hanna No. 6 site include a filtration plant with an artesian well, a heating plant, a boiler house, an oil house, a sand house, a tipple and an office. Loyal Hanna No. 7, placed in operation a few years after No. 6 was located just southwest of Cairnbrook. In 1920 Loyal Hanna Nos. 6 (a drift mine in the Lower Kittaning seam) and 7 (a drift mine in the Upper Kittaning seam) produced about 111,000 tons of coal and employed 185 workers. A peak year of production was 1940 when the mines produced about 390,000 tons of coal and employed 384 workers. Only Loyal Hanna No. 6 was in operaton by 1950, producing about 229,000 tons of coal and employing 230 workers. By 1958 mining had ceased. Cassler Lumber Company took over the mine buildings and constructed several others. Although Cairnbrook is not incorporated it owns and operates (under the Cairnbrook Improvement Company) its own water company, sewer system and disposal plant.

SOURCE: Somerset County, Pennsylvania – An Inventory of Historic Engineering and Industrial Sites,
Published by: Historic American Buildings Survey/Historic American Engineering Record, America’s Industrial Heritage Project, by the National Park Service, U S Dept. of the Interior, Washington, DC, 1994
(pgs. 71 – 73)

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Ronda_Crone 20 Jan 2003 2:03AM GMT 
deabad 9 Apr 2010 7:57PM GMT 
Dcrone6401 9 Apr 2010 8:24PM GMT 
deabad 9 Apr 2010 11:01PM GMT 
shepard999 10 Apr 2010 12:33PM GMT 
deabad 10 Apr 2010 6:12PM GMT 
maaroan 21 Dec 2012 6:12PM GMT 
maaroan 21 Dec 2012 6:17PM GMT 
shepard999 21 Dec 2012 6:29PM GMT 
deabad 21 Dec 2012 9:48PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

  • Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions