Search for content in message boards

Mine accident

Replies: 1

Re: Mine accident

Posted: 25 Dec 2012 8:38PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: PADEN; COOPER
Source:
1902 Annual Coal Report of the State Inspectors of Mines to the Governor of the State of West Virginia

from Page 89, Kanawha county, Albert W Paden, 1901Sep17, nationality American, 2 years experience, age 36, occupation electrician, married, survived by widow and 3 orphans, 4 dependents total, killed by fall of slate, no inquest held; also killed in this same accident was Clyde Cooper, occupation motorman

from page 104, Kanawha county, 1901Sep17, Clyde Cooper and Albert W Paden, Acme Mine, were on the motor bringing out a loaded trip when it ran into a piece of slate which pushed ahead of the motor, knocking out a post and letting a piece of slate fall on top of he motor. When the motor struck the slate the men tried to get on top of the motor and were caught by the fall of slate. Paden lived about an hour after the accident and gave the above information. This mine was inspected the 13th of July, at which time the roof the hallways was found in a dangerous condition in many places, and instructions given to the mine boss and superintendent to put hallways in safe condition. On a visit made the day after the accident it was found that the Inspector's instructions had not been fully complied with.

Slate is dark shale lying next to the coal beds. It contains impressions of the plant life of distant ages, proving the vegetable origin of coal

This is all the information that I have on this accident. A newspaper article may have more information.

From Jerry,
http://www.genealogy.com/users/s/h/e/Jerry-Sherard/ “Mining Accidents U.S., Canada, New Zealand and Australia”

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Arimartin0630... 25 Dec 2012 9:48PM GMT 
shepard999 26 Dec 2012 3:38AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions