Gary, WV - McDowell County

Replies: 4

Gary, WV - McDowell County

Lisa Snyder (View posts)
Posted: 27 Mar 2000 5:00AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Snyder, Christian
Gracie,

Thank you so much for the work you did on this site. My husband grew up in Gary, WV. McDowell county. His family is still there. I enjoy visiting because it is so much 'God's country' to me. There is however an understanding of the people still living in Gary that most "flatlanders" cannot understand. To drive through Gary and see how much has changed since the coal mining industry has been reduced in production there is heartbreaking to me.

West Virginian's are a very proud people and I respect that in my husband. They have every right to be. His father worked in the mines and my husband has many stories of the #6 holler and the #9 holler. I love hearing the stories and have so much respect for the women who also endured living in those conditions.

This site helps me to inform myself of the understanding when my husband tells stories or his family tells them. In my opinion it was a very harsh way of life and these women stand strong.

One day we will retire and our plan is to do that in WV. I love the mountains. Thank you so much for this site, the stories, the photo's and the reality you put into the coal mining industry. I hope more 'flatlanders' like me come away with a better understanding of what these people did for us. Unfortunately, they need to visit the area to see how much of a sacrafice these families actually gave for our enjoyment and better way of life.

Sincerely,

Lisa Snyder

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Lisa Snyder 27 Mar 2000 12:00PM GMT 
Helen Nedahl 4 Apr 2000 12:00PM GMT 
carlean16 6 Jul 2005 4:59AM GMT 
Vietnam1966 2 Aug 2013 4:43AM GMT 
shepard999 13 Apr 2014 7:33PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic