Search for content in message boards

Schooner Daniel Simmons

Replies: 4

Schooner Daniel Simmons

Posted: 12 Jul 2007 12:32PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: DOANE, COMEAU, HUTCHINSON, HEIGHT, HAIGHT, RYAN, RUGGLES
I am posting two more articles on the sinking of the Daniel Simmons below, if anyone is interested. My great great grandfather was James W. Doane. He and his crew were lost at sea due to the incident in 1898 and if anyone has ANY more info on him it would be GREATLY appreciated!

All hopes for the safety of the schooner Daniel Simmons owned by I.G. Hutchinson, Brighton, Digby have been given up. The crew of the Simmons, who unless picked up and carried to some distant port must certainly have been lost, were: Capt. James W. Done, Wayland Height, mate and James and Timothy Comeau, hands. They were all Digby men. Digby's contribution to the number of those lost by the gale of November was a heavy one, as many a saddened home throughout the country bears testimony.

Religious Intelligencer--- 28 Dec. 1898

We regret to say that the Schr. Daniel Simmonds , of Brighton, Capt. Doane did not arrive after the storm This vessel sailed from Glouster, for Brighton in company with the Schr. Princess, on Friday morning before the storm, and no tidings have been received from her since, except that Capt. Ryan, master of the Princess, says he sighted her astern Friday noon about fifty miles from Glouster. They were then endeavoring to reel the sails and he fears, with others, that they met a watery grave. The Daniel Simmonds, 70 tons register, was built in the US and was purchased some years ago by Isaac Hutchinson of Brighton, from which port she has been unning ever since. Her crew consisted of J. W. Doane, master of Brighton, who leaves a wife and large family; Chas. W. Haight, also of Brighton, who leaves a wife and four young children; Dennis Comeau, of Plympton, seaman, who leaves a wife and one child, and Timothy Comeau, of Gilbert's Cove, cook and seaman and unmarried. This is the second vessel Mr. Hutchinson has lost in the same trade, the other being the Ocean Belle, Capt. Dwight Ruggles which went ashore on the American coast, some years ago, the crew however in that case saved.
Digby Courier--- 9 Dec. 1898

All hopes for the safety of the schooner Daniel Simmons owned by I.G. Hutchinson, Brighton, Digby have been given up. The crew of the Simmons, who unless picked up and carried to some distant port must certainly have been lost, were: Capt. James W. Done, Wayland Height, mate and James and Timothy Comeau, hands. They were all Digby men. Digby's contribution to the number of those lost by the gale of November was a heavy one, as many a saddened home throughout the country bears testimony.

Religious Intelligencer--- 28 Dec. 1898
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
rockgoddess 12 Jul 2007 6:32PM GMT 
daintydot_1 13 Jul 2007 12:06AM GMT 
rockgoddess 13 Jul 2007 12:57AM GMT 
daintydot_1 13 Jul 2007 5:21PM GMT 
dwcomeau 19 Oct 2012 12:38PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions