Search for content in message boards

Viavi Company founded abt 1889 in San Francisco

Replies: 11

Re: Viavi Company founded abt 1889 in San Francisco

Posted: 6 Jan 2013 11:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Dear Jennifer:

I hope your research is going well. Viavi was a patent medicine remedy -- or rather a family of remedies -- that were sold across the country and in many foreign countries as early as 1889. Most of their agents were women, although some husband and wife teams ran branch offices. The company called their remedies an "All-Natural System of Treatment" and described Viavi remedies, which contained derivatives of the goldenseal plant, as “food” for the nerves and tissues that allowed nature to work by increasing circulation and removing congestion and impurities. The most popular products were Viavi capsules and cerate, although there were others. Users inserted Viavi capsules into the vagina and rubbed Viavi cerate, or lotion, into the skin to ensure maximum absorption. The Viavi “system of treatment” also included a comprehensive hygienic regimen similar to that espoused by earlier health reform movements, such as hydropathy. It included douching, bathing, massage, the use of hot and cold compresses, and moderate exercise.

I'm writing about the company in my dissertation, so I have lots more info to share - esp about the company views on woman and motherhood. If you want to email me at njmarine@stanford.edu and tell me what family you are researching, I'd be happy to check to see if I have come across them. The question "were they a fraud"? is such an interesting question, and not a simple one to answer. I'd love to talk more about it with you. Also, look on Google Books for a copy of the Viavi Hygiene if you want to know more about the company -- it has been digitized or you can buy a copy on EBAY pretty easily for less than $20. Get one of the earlier versions -- 1908 or earlier.

Best wishes!

Natalie
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
natmarine 2 May 2010 12:54AM GMT 
clrkminor 31 Jan 2012 6:46PM GMT 
natmarine 4 Apr 2012 4:23AM GMT 
clrkminor 4 Apr 2012 4:36AM GMT 
bebe333 19 Jul 2013 11:12PM GMT 
sluggan1 4 Jun 2012 6:18AM GMT 
Wiebers9 30 Nov 2012 1:25PM GMT 
natmarine 7 Jan 2013 6:00AM GMT 
johngoodin72 3 Jan 2013 9:47PM GMT