Search for content in message boards

DAR Lookup: Meranda, James 1745-1816 m: Susannah Owens, dau. of John Owens-All Washington Co., PA

Replies: 3

DAR Lookup: Meranda, James 1745-1816 m: Susannah Owens, dau. of John Owens-All Washington Co., PA

Posted: 26 Nov 2001 9:12AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 11 Jul 2006 11:34AM GMT
Surnames: Meranda, Stites, Newland, Owens
Trying to prove my line and have hit a snag. I am hoping to be accepted in the DAR.

My ancestor James Meranda was born in Washington Co., PA. He lived in the 10 mile Creek area which I believe is/was near Ft. Jackson. His brother Samuel is listed in the DAR book as he received a pension but James is noted as not receiving a pension. His son married Phoebe Stites, daughter of Major Benjamin Stites. Phoebe is quoted in the Draper Interviews the following: "in the fall of 1779, Samuel and James Miranda, lads went out from Jacksons to gather grapes". I am assuming that James is her husband born 1770 and Samuel his brother born 1768. They are both sons of James Meranda b: 1745. I descend through Samuel born 1768 who married Sarah Newland, daughter of Adam Newland and Mary Herrod (sister to frontiersman James Herrod). James born 1745, was a freeman but I have not found where his land was nor where he took his oath of allegience. His father-in-law, John Owens was supposedly killed by indians in 1764, I am not sure of this.

What I don't understand is why with all the evidence of James and Samuel being at Fort Jackson in the Revolutionary War, why didn't James receive recognition for his contribution to the revolution.

If anyone could help me out with this, I would be eternally grateful.

Karen
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
sharpcorner 26 Nov 2001 4:12PM GMT 
Nancy C 26 Nov 2001 6:27PM GMT 
sherronw42 23 Oct 2008 8:06PM GMT 
Karen_DJ 24 Sep 2012 2:28AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions