John Nelson from VA and basic DAR info

Replies: 6

Re: John Nelson from VA and basic DAR info

Kathryn (View posts)
Posted: 23 Dec 2001 7:49PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Nelson
Dear Cheryl,

I was interested in your ancestor so I decided to try and answer part of your questions. A DAR member has used your ancestor John Nelson, of Virginia for membership in the DAR. He is listed in the on-line DAR Patriot Index as having been born 10 July 1747, died KY probably 1829. He married Bathesheba Hogan. His service was in Virginia, and he held the rank of LT. His widow did not receive a pension. You can write to DAR for this application, which will give you service information and the sources. You can reference this national number on your application for membership in the proof section of the Patriot's generation. Send a $5.00 check payable to Treasurer General, NSDAR to NSDAR, Office of the Registrar General, Attn: Record Copy 1776 D. St. NW, Washington, D.C. 20006-5303. Allow about six weeks for a reply.

We are pleased that you are interested in membership in the DAR. Please send an email with your full name, address and email to the Board Coordinator (Glendamt@aol.com) who will forward your interest to the nearest DAR chapter.

Concerning your proof, you will need birth, marriage and death certificates for the first three generations if available. If these are not available then you may use photos of gravestones, obituaries, Pages of an old family Bible...but you must also include the cover page and publication page with the date published. After the first three generations are documented then you may need to use census records, wills if possible, which name children. Concerning the military land grant I am not sure what it might tell you other than where the land was located, which could help for a place to search for records. These records are available...but I do not know exactly where to write. You might contact the nearest genealogy library or Church of the Latter Day Saints library for assistance. Good luck.

Kathryn
VIS Volunteer
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Cheryl 24 Dec 2001 12:19AM GMT 
Kathryn 24 Dec 2001 2:49AM GMT 
Cheryl 24 Dec 2001 5:10AM GMT 
1933dottie 5 Feb 2002 7:57AM GMT 
Cheryl 5 Feb 2002 5:27PM GMT 
MJordan1976 4 Jan 2013 5:37PM GMT 
snimtz1 18 Dec 2003 10:10PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic