Search for content in message boards

John Nelson from VA and basic DAR info

Replies: 6

Re: John Nelson from VA and basic DAR info

Posted: 4 Jan 2013 10:37AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 4 Jan 2013 4:25PM GMT
Surnames: Nelson, Hogan, Catlett
To Cheryl and all who have helped with DAR info, Hello.

I am descended from John Nelson and Bathsheba Hogan through Sally Ann (some records as Sarah Ann). As I've been looking this week at the Revolutionary War records available (both reported as well as digitized originals), I've encountered contradictory information--no doubt due to the large number of Nelsons (especially John Nelsons). Even in an approved application, I've encountered difficulties: dates that don't match up, or ranks that later pensions match with the wrong John Nelson, etc.

As I've tried sorting this all out, I've encountered a document that may or may not clear things up--a muster list for Capt. Benjamin Harrison's Virginia Militia from Fauquier County: it includes a John Nelson AND a Rawley Hogan (son of John Hogan and Mary Ann Catlett, brother of Bathsheba). I believe this to be the true and correct John Nelson, but wonder if this is connected to other documentation already.

Is there anyone who has worked on this that has been able to sort this out. Can you give incontrovertible evidence of the proper connections to this Revolutionary War ancestor? Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Attachments:
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Cheryl 24 Dec 2001 12:19AM GMT 
Kathryn 24 Dec 2001 2:49AM GMT 
Cheryl 24 Dec 2001 5:10AM GMT 
1933dottie 5 Feb 2002 7:57AM GMT 
Cheryl 5 Feb 2002 5:27PM GMT 
MJordan1976 4 Jan 2013 5:37PM GMT 
snimtz1 18 Dec 2003 10:10PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions