Search for content in message boards

National Genealogy Society Conference

Replies: 0

National Genealogy Society Conference

Posted: 5 May 2010 4:59AM GMT
Classification: Query
I am subscribed to several blogs and have been reading with much interest about the National Genealogy Society Conference held last week in Salt Lake. How I wish I could have gone!

One of the blogs "The Ancestry Insider" told about what he considered the highlight of the several days of presentations and displays. He loved it all and was very positive and enthusiastic about all the info he learned, and I believe he was also a presenter at one.

So I was surprised when he said that the highlight for him came in the middle of the sessions. He said:

So what was the high point of the conference for me? “Amazing Grace.”

In the video that proceeded it, “Clan McCloud,” a father of Scottish descent related the story of his son, Jared. At age seven Jared announced his desire to learn to play the bagpipes.

“If you’ve ever heard bagpipes in a confined space, you’ll know why we’ve created basements,” quipped Jared’s father. As a result of Jared’s interest in his Scottish roots, and despite the cacophony, the entire family reconnected with their Scottish heritage.

And Jared did, eventually, learn to play the bagpipes, as we can attest. For as the lights came up, there was Jared and three additional pipers, standing amidst the choir. The sad, soulful strains of the pipes filtered through the large hall like the mournful cries of the lost.

In its turn, as if falling into the march behind the pipers, the orchestra joined in, soothing the cries of the pipes with hope that dangers, toils, and fears could be relieved.

As the men of the choir joined the march, we heard in words our hopes secured: “Amazing grace, how sweet the sound…”

Then the women added a descant, lifting us heavenward. “The Lord has promised good to me…”

Now all in unison. “…I shall possess within the veil, a life of joy and peace.”

Finally in full voice with majestic orchestration: “…Bright shining as the sun. We’ve no less days to sing God’s praise…”

Surely God was in the moment. It is never to be forgotten.

This is taken from his blog which you can read at
http://ancestryinsider.blogspot.com/

You can also listen to the *truly* incredible arrangement of bagpipes with Amazing Grace, sung by the Mormon Tabernacle Choir at:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODpDh-Wx5GE

I promise this will be worth your time.
Karen

Find a board about a specific topic