Search for content in message boards

A Southern soldier in your past may give you an edge on information

Replies: 0

A Southern soldier in your past may give you an edge on information

Posted: 20 Apr 2010 5:19AM GMT
Classification: Query
There is a UDC camp nearby that is a good place to get some good long lost family information. If you have a feeling there is a Confederate veteran in your family blood get in touch with the Sons of Confederate Veterans or the United Daughters of the Confederacy.

In my family there are only 1 or 2 other people that share my passion for my family heritage. Aunt Jimmie Lou is the best but there is a lot of Texas between her and I! I belonged to many of these ancestry businesses but there was always some critical information null.
Luckily I have the DNA of a Southron soldier boy! At least seven actually. An SCV member helped me find a copy of 1 of my ancestor's Confederate enlistment paper. Great great grandfather Pvt. James K Polk Tims 37th Mississippi Infantry. He and his comrades and their families all came alive becoming a member.

The UDC udc.org & the SCV scv.org are great resources for unique and specific family information. Their sites have links to locations divided by department, state, and region. There are many contacts posted on each level.

The memberships are annually about a third less than what other genealogical memberships cost. If there is a Confederate veteran in your family blood the SCV & UDC are perfect for you to avoid general genealogy businesses. For in the South where most documents, flags, family Bibles, enlistment and unit roster copies, and photographs are preserved in family most businesses or state and national governments don't have access. For example the invading or occupying yankees in the South were led to believe that most of it was burned. In the path of Sherman's March to the Sea photographs were buried in a garden alongside other precious items. Every refugee in Vicksburg or Richmond hid what they could on them. And to protect those that served the cause the majority of Southern military records, wills, and reports were safely confined somewhere. During the surrenders of the Confederate military the majority of unit flags were saved by humble yet creative with their coats rebels.
Through their own access to countless period sources and original information the Sons of Confederate Veterans & United Daughters of the Confederacy have been the most successful bringing to life thousands of black families that had 1 or more black Confederate ancestors.

The SCV & UDC are Southern family groups honoring Southern families.
Think 800-mydixie
Attachments:

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions