Search for content in message boards

Richard Moore + Jane Hollingsworth

Replies: 5

Re: Richard Moore + Jane Hollingsworth

Posted: 20 Nov 2004 12:48PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 29 Dec 2004 8:05PM GMT
In his 1995 publication _The Great Migration Begins_, Robert Charles Anderson gives no maiden name for Jane Crumpton, widow of Samuel Crumpton and second wife of Richard Moore. The GSMD five generation book on Richard does not give a maiden name for Jane. No other recent source I have seen has her name as Hollingsworth. However some reputable older books do. Preumably something was learned since the older books were published. Depositions by a Richard Moore of Salem of about the right time speak of his father-in-law named Hollingsworth. However there were apparently to men named Richard Moore in Salem at the same time and of about the same age. I do not know this, and I'm glad I saw your question because I'd like to know the story, but it is my guess that it has been determined that the depositions were made by the other Richard.

An article is cited by Anderson and others which establishes the name of Chistian, the first wife, as Hunter, not Hunt. I have not seen this article, but I believe I'll try to look at it as it is titled "Notes on the Hollingsworth, Hunter, More and Woodbury Families of Salem, Mass," _The American Genealogist _(40:77 is the page noted for Christian). I don't know if it says anything about Jane, but in any case the best recent authorities I know of--Anderson and the General Society of Mayflower Descndants, don't list her as having been a Hollingsworth.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
MardiM2 20 Nov 2004 3:51PM GMT 
HarlowChandle... 20 Nov 2004 7:48PM GMT 
MardiM2 21 Nov 2004 7:54AM GMT 
marthaandpaul 13 Nov 2011 3:33PM GMT 
aer437 1 Jan 2013 11:38PM GMT 
MardiM2 2 Jan 2013 12:21AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic