Search for content in message boards

A southern Mayflower line of the Chipman family via Howland, Tilley & Warren

Replies: 61

Re: A southern Mayflower line of the Chipman family via Howland, Tilley & Warren

Jeffrey Chipman (View posts)
Posted: 7 Mar 2006 12:22PM GMT
Classification: Query
[Here’s an interesting deed abstract involving Paris Chipman of Kent Co., DE, and the Walker and Craige families. I do not recall where I obtained it.]

9 Dec 1762. William Walker of New Castle County and Jane Murray of the City of Philadelphia widow of William Murray merchant to Paris Chipman of Kent County. George Craige yeoman deceased of Kent County owned part of a tract called Rhode’s Forest in Murderkill Hundred of Kent County adjoining land of John Caton bounded in part by Tidbury Branch, containing 108 acres, plus another parcel, originally purchased by Craige from Andrew Cadwill on 26 Aug 1726 and 20 Mar 1734. George Craige died intestate leaving two daughters, Mary Craige and Jane Murray, then Jane Craige, who inherited a portion of said lands along with Isabella Craige, their mother, who also held lands once owned by James Train and the widow Caton containing 100 acres which was sold to Isabella Craige by James W. Hixon 16 May 1746, which Isabella Craige conveyed to Jane Craige in her will. After George Craige’s death, Mary Craige married William Walker by whom she had several children, and afterwards died, whereby William Walker is now a tenant on the land. William Walker and Jane Murray for 180 pounds convey to said Paris Chipman the three parcels of land and all property thereto. Jane Murray appoints John Caton her attorney in Kent County.
Wit: Thomas Parke, Jno. Murray
Signed: William Walker, Jane Murray
Filed 9 Feb 1763
Rec: 24 oct 1763
(Kent Co., DE Book Q, p. 143)

[This letter was kindly sent me by Barbara Petty, descendant of Mary Chipman and John Shields.]

October 1st 1849
Mr. William Dunning

Dear Sir I have lernt that you keep the registers and my Grand Father Paris Chipman came from that State but what County I have not been able as yet to ascertain it may be your County; I much desire that you would search your records and ifyou find any of the name of Chipman pleas give me all the particulars that you can find he emigrated to this County before the revolution you can refer back some five years before that time the said Paris Chipman came from one of the New England states to Delaware and we much desire to ascertain if his Father came to Del with him
Dear Sir these favours I begg of you as it is a matter much Desired pleas let me hear from you as soon as possible with … respect your
Humble Ser—Joel Chipman
N.B. direct your letter to Deep River Po
Guilford County N.C.

[Joel Chipman 1793-1886 was the grandson of Paris Chipman, son of James and Mary (Minor) Chipman.]
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Jeffrey Chipman 7 Mar 2006 7:22PM GMT 
Jeffrey Chipman 8 Mar 2006 10:59PM GMT 
Jeff Chipman 9 Mar 2006 5:13PM GMT 
Jeffrey Chipman 10 Mar 2006 2:49AM GMT 
Jeffrey T. Chipman 11 Mar 2006 8:59PM GMT 
Jeffrey T. Chipman 12 Mar 2006 4:58PM GMT 
Jeffrey T. Chipman 16 Mar 2006 11:53PM GMT 
Jeff Chipman 17 Mar 2006 3:39PM GMT 
Jeff Chipman 17 Mar 2006 5:38PM GMT 
cl52549 19 Mar 2006 2:32AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions