Search for content in message boards

Benjamin Schoonover, d. 1838 in WV

Replies: 7

Benjamin Schoonover, d. 1838 in WV

Posted: 7 Jul 2006 1:29PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 8 Sep 2006 9:42AM GMT
I would appreciate a look-up for Benjamin Schoonover with wife Mary Hand. His birth date on his grave marker is supposedly 1745, but it is given variously in genealogical accounts as 1741 and 1750. His date of death supposedly from grave marker is in 1838; he died in Randolph Co., WV.

This man is listed on the SAR Patriot Graves site. I would very much like to know what State his service was supposed to be from.

There is a DAR marker at his grave site. This man is alleged to have served as a Captain in the listing from the DAR grave-sites book. Possibly the grave marker says this. The year the marker was erected is unknown, and when the DAR marker was installed is unknown. I have been unable to find a record that he or a widow applied for a service pension. Some say that his service was in Pennsylvania, and some attribute his service more specifically to Northampton Co., PA.

The above Benjamin Schoonover is said by descendants to have been son of a Thomas and Mary (Westfall) Schoonover, and to have been baptised in the Machackemeck (sp?) Reformed Church located in present Deer Park, Orange Co., NY. None give the connecting evidence for this. None give land or any other records that the above man lived in PA. While some descendants give specific birth dates for some or all of his children, none cite baptismal records that would locate where they were born.

Until recently I have been convinced that the Benjamin Schoonover, Captain in the Northampton, Co., PA Militia under Col Jacob Stroud, was quite another person.

This 2nd Benjamin Schoonover was son of Nicholas and Paternella (Westfall) Schoonover (these two Benjamins were cousins in both Schoonover and Westfall lines, if descendants are correct about ancestry of the one first mentioned).

Benjamin and his father Nicholas lived in Walpack, now in Sussex Co., NJ, then in Lower Smithfield Twp., presently in Monroe Co., PA (which was part of Northampton and Wayne counties at various times). The men in Capt. Benjamin Schoonover's company were also of the Lower Smithfield area, according to tax lists and to the pension application files found for a few of them.

This Benjamin Schoonover had only one known child, Johannah "Hannah" Schoonover. Some, giving no evidence, also attribute a son Joseph to him, for whom I have found no evidence. Some conflate the two Benjamins, adding Johannah to the family of the Benjamin of Randolph Co., WV, but then failing to account for Johannah's marriage to Platt Smith, with whom she had several children whose baptisms are recorded at Lower Smithfield in the church located near the settlement more recently known as "Shawnee," on the Delaware River.

Benjamin Schoonover (Schoonhoven) and Margaret his wife in 1796 sold their land on Bushkill, Lower Smithfield Twp., then in Northampton Co. PA (Northampton Co. Deeds C2:186-188), located NE of present-day Stroudsburg. In June 1797 Benjamin and Margrit Schoonover, then of Walpack Tp, Sussex Co. (now Warren Co.), NJ agreed to purchase some 200 acres on the Delaware River in Walpack, opposite Lower Smithfield Twp. (Sussex Co. NJ Deeds S:155-157).

In May 1812 Benjamin Schoonover with no wife mentioned sold the 1797 purchase (Sussex Co. Deeds Z:205-206).

The will of Benjamin Schoonover of Ulysses Town, probated in Seneca Co., NY 18 May 1813 (dated 7 May 1813; Seneca Co., NY wills A2:2) names "Hanah my daughter" and bequests to three of her children -- Joshua Smith, Elijah Smith and Peggy Smith -- as well as bequests to other Smith relatives. Baptisms of five children of Platt and Johannah/Hannah Smith were recorded in the Lower Smithfield Reformed Church records -- Joshua, Peggy, Mary, Johannah and Elijah. Some of the baptismal records give Johannah's maiden name as "Schoonhover".

Platt Smith's household is listed next to that of Benjamin Schoonover in the 1790 US Census for Lower Smithfield Twp. (1790 US Census, PA, printed version p. 174). The last tax assessment roll for Lower Smithfield Twp. listing Platt Smith and Benjamin Schoonover was that for 1796.

One honest genealogist notes that the 1790 household of Benjamin Schoonover in Lower Smithfield (a male over 16, male under 16 and one female) [concerning the Benjamin of Randolph Co. WV] "would not fit with the children as we have them listed of "our" Benjamin. He had at least three sons by that time." [Greathouse descendants website <www.greathouse.us/harmon1787/ind/i236.htm>;]. The same account mentions a book by Ollie Lunsford about Van Schoonhoven and Schoonover families, "found in the DAR Library." The late Mrs. Lunsford was formerly of Randolph Co., WV.

Thank you very much for your assistance.

Cheers,
Judy
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
frostfreedet 7 Jul 2006 7:29PM GMT 
KJRomick 15 Jan 2007 1:35AM GMT 
j9007 16 Jan 2007 12:52AM GMT 
frostfreedet 20 Jan 2007 4:33AM GMT 
frostfreedet 20 Jan 2007 5:04AM GMT 
BrendaEricsso... 27 Apr 2007 11:11PM GMT 
frostfreedet 28 Apr 2007 9:59PM GMT 
njfidler 1 May 2012 6:24PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions