Search for content in message boards

Civil Service as Patriotic Service?

Replies: 2

Civil Service as Patriotic Service?

Posted: 14 Jul 2012 8:23PM GMT
Classification: Query
I am in the process of revising my initial application after my first attempt was rejected on the grounds that the only military service records for my Patriot ancestor are from the 1760s.

I understand this ruling, and am concentrating my revision on the designated period between April 19, 1775 - November 26, 1783. Unfortunately, my Patriot ancestor was born in 1728, which means that he was 47 years old in 1775. As such, I am focusing my attention on civil service records, since "civil service under the colonies" during this time period is listed as acceptable service for SAR.

My ancestor lived in Cumberland, Rhode Island. Fortunately, there are extensive records from the Revolution, including the Cumberland Town Council records (on microfilm via Familysearch) dating back to 1741. My ancestor appears 5 different times in these records between April of 1775 to November of 1783:

1. On June 5, 1775, the Council appointed him as one of Cumberland's "fence viewers"
2. On June 3, 1776, the Council re-appointed him as a "fence viewer"
3. On June 2, 1777, the Council re-appointed him as a "fence viewer"
4. On June 1, 1778, the Council appointed him and another man to serve as Cumberland's "Overseers of the Poor"
5. On June 7, 1779, the Council drew him to serve as "Petit Juror" for the Inferior Court of Common Pleas in Providence, Rhode Island

I have also ordered the Treasurer's Records from Cumberland from this time period, as I know that Cumberland collected several different taxes during this period - which my ancestor surely paid.

In short though, am I on the right track toward building a reasonable case that my ancestor was a Patriot? Thanks for any help/advice you can provide....
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
rayjones56 15 Jul 2012 2:23AM GMT 
rayjones56 21 Apr 2013 6:54PM GMT 
dewright12 10 May 2013 10:40PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions