Search for content in message boards

Capt. Nathaniel Havens Sherman, RI

Replies: 1

Capt. Nathaniel Havens Sherman, RI

Posted: 29 Mar 2013 8:54PM GMT
Classification: Query
All of the evidence here supports Asa Sherman as the son of Nathaniel Sherman and Elizabeth Eldred of North Kingstown, Rhode Island. All the information is right here. Justin Maitland.

Lois Sherman (m. William Maitland)

Parents: Asa Sherman born. Abt. 1775 in Rhode Island died. After 1860 in Henderson, Jefferson Co., NY and Mary born. Abt. 1779 in Rhode Island died. After 1860 in Henderson, Jefferson Co., NY
Children: Benoni (Abt.1798 in NY), Lois (m. William Maitland) (Abt.1804 in Oneida Co., NY d. after 1880 in Henderson, NY), Laurenna (Abt.1809 in Oneida Co., NY died after 6-17-1875 in Henderson, NY), Asa Jr. (Abt.1816 in NY died after 1850 in NY)

1830 Census for Dekalb, St. Lawrence Co., NY for Asa Sherman and Household, p. 176
1 male Under 5, 1 male 10-15, 1 male 15-20, 1 male 30-40, 1 male 50-60
1 female 10-15, 1 female 20-30, 1 female 40-50
NEXT DOOR
William Maitland and Household
1 male Under 5, 1 male 5-10, 1 male 30-40
2 females Under 5, 1 female 20-30

1840 for Dekalb, St. Lawrence Co., NY for Asa Sherman and Household, p. 137
1 male 40-50, 1 male 60-70
1 female 30-40, 1 female 60-70

1840 Census for Dekalb, St. Lawrence Co., NY for William Maitland and Household, p. 135
1 male 10-15, 2 males 15-20 1 male 40-50
2 females 10-15, 1 female 40-50

1850 Census for DeKalb, St. Lawrence Co., NY for William Maitland and family 75/75
William Maitland Sex: M Born: Ireland Age: 66 Occupation: Farmer
Lois Maitland Sex: F Born: State of N. York Age: 46
Libbeus Maitland Sex: M Born: State of N. York Age: 24
Roxy J. Maitland Sex: F Born: State of N. York Age: 22
Fidelia A. Maitland Sex: F Born: State of N. York Age: 20
All can Read and Write

1850 Census Report for Hermon, St. Lawrence Co., NY for Asa Sherman Jr. and Household 137/151
Asa Jr Sherman 34 M NY Cannot Read or Write
Hannah Sherman 25 F NY Cannot Read or Write
Gloria 3 F NY Cannot Read or Write
NEXT DOOR WERE HOUSEHOLD 138/152
Asa Sherman 75 M RI Cannot Read or Write
Mary Sherman 70 F RI Cannot Read or Write
Benoni Sherman 52 M NY Cannot Read or Write
Lurena 40 F NY Blind Cannot Read or Write

1860 Census for Henderson, Jefferson Co., NY for Asa Sherman and wife 826/841
Asa Sherman Age: 86 Sex: M POB: RI Occupation: Laborer
Mary Age: 78 Sex: F POB: RI Occupation: Housekeeper
(Next door were)
Benoni Sherman Age: 66 Sex: M POB: NY Occupation: Laborer
Laurenna Age: 40 Sex: F POB: NY
Roxie Age: 32 Sex: F POB: NY Occupation: Housekeeper
Lois Maitland Age: 60 Sex: F POB: NY Occupation: Housekeeper

1870 Census for Henderson, Jefferson Co., NY for Fidelia Parker and family
Fidelia Parker Age: 40 Sex: F POB: NY Occupation: Carpetweaver Can Read and Write
Lois Maitland Age: 66 Sex: F POB: NY Occupation: Keeping Home Can Read and Write
William D. Parker Age: 7 Sex: M POB: NY Occupation: At School Can Read and Write
Laurenna Sherman Age: 60 Sex: F POB: NY Occupation: At Home Cannot Read or Write
Charles Parker Age: 14 Sex: M POB: NY Occupation: At School Can Read and Write

1875 (June 16) Census for Fidelia Parker and Family for Henderson, Jefferson Co., New York 251/Framed 200/259, p. 29
Fidelia Parker Age: 44 Sex: F State and County of Birth: St. Lawrence Occupation: Weaver Now Widowed
Charles A. Parker Son Age: 19 Sex: M Birthplace: Jefferson County Single
Hattie C. Parker Dau Age: 18 Sex: F Birthplace: Jefferson County Single
Lois Ann Parker Dau Age: 16 Sex: F Birthplace: Jefferson County Single
Livingston L. Parker Son Age: 14 Sex: F Birthplace: Jefferson County Single
William B. Parker Son Age: 11 Sex: M Birthplace: Jefferson County Single
Lois Maitland Mother Age: 72 Sex: F Birthplace: Oneida Co., NY Now Widowed
Lurana Sherman Aunt Age: 66 Sex: F Birthplace: Oneida Co., NY Single Blind

1880 Census for Henderson, Jefferson Co., NY for Fidelia Parker and family
Fidelia Parker Age: 50 MS: F POB: NY Occ: Keeping House FBP: Ireland MBP: NY
Lerue Parker Age: 19 MS: M POB: NY Occ: Farm Laborer FBP: NY MBP: NY
David Parker Age: 16 MS: M POB: NY Occ: Farm Laborer FBP: NY MBP: NY
Charles A. Parker Age: 3 MS: M POB: NY FBP: NY MBP: NY
Louise Maitland Age: 78 MS: F POB: NY FBP: RI MBP: RI

1850 Census for Nathaniel Sherman and Family in Milton, Jefferson Co., Indiana 260/262
Nathaniel Sherman M 67 Farmer 1500 RI Can Read and Write
Abigail Sherman F 60 MA Cannot Read or Write
Joseph Sherman M 28 IN Can Read and Write
Peter Sherman M 21 IN Can Read and Write
Amanda Sherman F 23 IN Can Read and Write
Orrin Sherman M 18 IN Can Read and Write
William Sherman M 16 IN Can Read and Write
Sarah Sherman F 5 IN Can Read and Write
From Book 1 of the Town of Dekalb records, William Maitland was an overseer of Highways in the town in 1838 and 1840 (pgs. 321, 332, 359). On page 359, Benoni Sherman, William Maitland’s brother-in-law was also an overseer of Highways in Dekalb, NY.
Date: Wed 06/10/09 02:56 PM

Dear Justin,
The references are as follows:
P. 298 William Maitland elected Overseerer of Highways for district #32 in the town of De Kalb March 1837.
P. 311 William Maitland elected Overseerer of Highways for district #35 in the town of De Kalb March 1838.
P. 321 William Maitland elected Overseerer of Highways for district #35 in the town of De Kalb March 1839.
P. 332 William Maitland elected Overseerer of Highways for district #35 in the town of De Kalb Feb 18, 1840.
also P. 332 Asa I. Sherman's sheep mark is the end of the right ear cut off and a happenny in the forward side of said right ear and the left ear slit.
Recorded October 31, 1840 P. 359 William Maitland elected Overseerer of Highways for district #39 in the town of De Kalb February 1843.

The above mentioned road district was in the Bigelow section of the town I believe from references to Bishops corners. I hope this helps. Please contact me if you have further questions.

Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2009 15:32:12 -0400

HI Justin,
The reference from page 44 in the De Kalb town meeting book refers to Asa Sherman being drawn as a juror in a trial to abandon a town road.
The action took place June 3, 1846.

Asa Sherman named two of his kids Benoni Sherman and Lois Sherman (who married William Maitland). These name identities point out that Asa Sherman is the grandson of Benoni Sherman and Margaret Havens of North Kingstown, Washington Co., Rhode Island. Benoni and Margaret had a kid named Lois Sherman who married David Bates. Here is what is known about Lowry Sherman: He married Hannah Matteson on September 7, 1761 in Coventry, Kent Co., RI and had a son named Nathan, who was born on December 18, 1762 in Coventry, Kent Co., Rhode Island. Captain Nathaniel Sherman’s son Benoni Sherman was honorably discharged from the service (during the War of 1812) at a camp near Brownsville, Kings Co., New York. Alpheus Sherman, son of Benoni was born on January 12, 1807 in Camillus, Onondaga Co., NY. Lois Sherman (Maitland) was born about 1804 in Oneida County, New York. She and her husband had a son named William Henry Maitland who was born in Brownville, Jefferson Co., New York on December 18, 1823.

Grandparents: Nathaniel Havens Sherman (d. 1826 in North Kingstown, Washington Co., Rhode Island) and Elizabeth Eldred (d. 3-24-1829 in North Kingstown, Washington Co., RI) Married: October 10, 1773 in North Kingstown, Washington Co., Rhode Island
Children: Asa (c.1775), Benoni (c.1777 to 1848 in Jefferson Co., IN), Nathaniel (c.1783 in RI to 5-17-1858 in Milton, Jefferson Co., IN), Elisha (c.1790)

Here is what is known about Captain Nathaniel Sherman and his descendants:
---He was a soldier in the Revolution. A "Havens' Sherman enlisted at Exeter, R. I. for three months Sept. 18, 1776 (R.I.V.R. p. 252) Captain Nathaniel Havens Sherman was in command of the 4th Company, North Kingston Regt., Rhode Island Militia in 1781 and 1783. (Civil & Military Records, Rhode Island Vol. 1 1647-1800 p. 404 for 1781 service and p. 422 for 1783.)
His will was badly damaged by fire. I have searched for years for information on this family and am still searching. It is possible that he is the one in Ballstown, Albany Co., New York in the Census of 1790. If so, at that time he had: 2 males over 16; 5 males under 16; 7 females over 16. F.D.S. 1685; R.I.V.R.: R.V.S.
---"The Ancestors and Descendants of Philip Shearman, the first secretary and recorder of the colony of Rhode Island" by Frank Dempster Sherman, 1908. She sent copies of several pages. It refers to his will, proved May 9, 1826, Wickford, RI. It is badly damaged by fire but talks of his wife Elizabeth; nephew Nathaniel, son of sister, Sarah, wife of Silas Sherman; John R Sherman; and the widow of the late Elijah Sherman. He is titled Captain in many references. ---He married Elizabeth Eldred on October 10, 1773 in North Kingstown, Washington Co., RI and had three known sons: Nathaniel, Elisha, and Benoni. Benoni Sherman was killed in 1848 in Jefferson Co., Indiana by a falling tree. Nathaniel Sherman died May 17, 1858 in Jefferson Co., Indiana. --Benoni Sherman who is the son of Captain Nathaniel Sherman, served in the War of 1812 in the 13th Brigade, New York detached militia from Sept. 14 to Nov. 1813. Discharged at Camp near Brownsville. References: Census Records; US Archives; Vital Records Jeff. Co., Ind.; Court Records Jef. Co. Ind. May 1848 to Aug. 1850. Feb. Term 1849 p. 307. Some Descendants of Philip Sherman, pub. 1968 by Roy V. Sherman.
--Benoni Sherman shows up in the 1800 Census in Manlius, Onondaga Co., NY and the 1810 Census in Camillus, Onondaga Co., NY.
From Donna Haroldson notes: Sharon K Weaver of Fort Wayne Indiana list his middle initial as T. She references a newspaper article, evidently published in 1902, but with the year 1876 written in pencil, that says: "A Canaanite who has been with us for many years. Benjamin Sherman's interesting recollections.

Benjamin Sherman, who now resides at Canaan, Indiana, was born in Onondaga County, NY, November 4, 1815. He came with his father, Nathaniel Sherman, together with Benona Sherman, Elisha Sherman, Elder Leavitt and a Mr. Minor, to Indiana in the year, 1816. They came across the Allegheny Mountains in wagons to the headwaters of the Allegheny River, came down that river and Ohio River on flatboats and a party landed at the mouth of Eagle Hollow, Christmas Eve, 1816, with the exception of one of the party, who remained in Ohio for a while. Mr. Sherman's recollections of early times are vivid, and while not seeking notoriety, he talks freely of events in his early life. His early days were times of incessant and hard labor in Milton Twp. his father having built a hewed log house on the farm now occupied by Mr. John Sehrt.
Mr. Sherman was a good stone mason and hauled the stone to build the fence around the front of the Lawson farm. Much of this stone was gotten out of the creek bottom in water, waist deep. Mr Sherman would often break the ice in the creek and wade around all day hauling stone for weeks at a time, late in the fall and early winter. He says he has stood in the Ohio River at Madison from morning till night for three weeks at a time unloading rafts of lumber and putting it ashore, part of this time being between Christmas and New Years. In answer to the question whether this had injured his health, he said it had not. He said the best brand of whiskey could then be purchased for 25 cents a gallon.
Mr Sherman is now in his 88th year, is hale and hearty, goes to church every night, when meeting is in progress, reads the Courier without the aid of glasses, and is Jolly and full of fun. He has in his possession a flintrock rifle that his father carried in the war of 1812. He remembers when Governor Hendricks and his daughters rode horseback from Madison to Washington. Mr. Sherman has won fame as a weather prophet and it is declared by some that they will take his predictions for the next 24 hours, in preference to the official forecast from Washington for the same time."

Great grandparents: Benoni Sherman (7-7-1719 in N. Kingstown, RI to 2-24-1768 in N. Kingstown, RI) and Margaret Havens (d. 1775)
Married: December 24, 1741 in North Kingstown, Washington Co., Rhode Island
Children: Lowry (Abt.1742), Avis (m. Joshua Bates 7-29-1764), Captain Nathaniel, Freelove (m. John Glazier on 9-2-1764), Sarah, Lois (m. David Bates), Margaret (5-2-1755), Soloman (2-15-1760) (m. Sybil Brownell 5-16-1790), Dorcas (1764)

2 great grandparents: Elisha Sherman (d. 1750 in N. Kingstown, RI) and Mary Sweet (12-8-1696 in N. Kingstown, RI d. 1775 in N. Kingstown, RI)
Children: Job (6-20-1716), Elisha (11-17-1717), Benoni (7-7-1719), Elizabeth (3-24-1722), Stephen (3-26-1724), Mary (8-11-1726), Margaret (3-20-1729), Rhoda (10-2-1732), Thomas (9-19-1735)

3 great grandparents: Eber Sherman (b. Dec. 1634 in Roxbury, Suffolk Co. MA d. 1706 in N. Kingstown, RI)
Children: Eber, Samuel, Stephen, Elisha, Abigail, Peleg, William

Will of EBER SHERMAN of North Kingston, RI (Margins destroyed by fire, Dec. 1870)
God so blest me in this life I give and bequeath the same in the following manner and form
first my debts and funerall charges be paid ( )
I give to my beloved Son Eber Sherman one hundred acres of land joyning to the house which jo ( )
to be to him and to his heires lawfully begotten of his own body ( )

Item: I give to my beloved son Samuel Sherman ( ) acres of land joyning and bounding upon my son Eber Shermans land that is above mentioned to be to him and to his heires lawfully begotten of his own body. Item I give to my beloved son Stephen Sherman one hundred acres of land joyning and bounding upon the land given to Samuel Sherman my son that is to say to him and to his heires lawfully begotten of his own body.

Item: I give to my beloved son Elisha Sherman one hundred acres of land joyning and bounding upon the land given to son Stephen Sherman before mentioned to be to him and his lawfully begotten of his own body. Item. I give to my beloved son William Sherman one hundred acres of land adjoyning and bounding upon the land which I have given to my son Elisha Sherman to be to him and to his heires lawfully begotten of his own body. Item. I give to my beloved son Peleg Sherman one hundred and eighty & two acres of land ( ) bounded upon John Sweets land near ( ) to be to him and to his heires lawfully begotten of his own body but in case any of them w( ) entioned shal depart th ( ) I hereby utterly disallow and revoke all other testaments and wills by me formerly any wise named wri( ) ing and confirming this & noe other to be my last will and testament; In witness whereof I have here unto sett my hand and seale the day and year above writen ( ) signed sealed published and declared to be the last will and testament in the presence of the subscribers by Eber Sherman.

Eber (his mark) Sherman
Captain Jesse ( his mark) Champlin
Peleg Mumford
Theophilus Whale
Capt. Jeffery Champlin and Peled Mumford both of Kingstowne in the colony of Rhood Island and Providence Plantations did both appear before the Council of Kingstowne the 14th day of ( ) did declear that they did see and hear Eber Sherman of Kingstowne (late deceased) sett his mark and seal upon the the above writen instrument and declared the same to ( ) his last will and testament and that they sett their names thereto as witnesses to the same.
Entered upon record the 13th day
November 1706

Samuel ffones Clerke
------------------------------------------------------------

Inventory Follows
Kingstown October the 11th day 1706

Inventory of Eber Sherman’s Estate late deceased
By us Justice Champlin, Jonathan Sherman:

Oxen five cows two three year old
olds one calf--
North Kingstown, R.I. Probate Records V. 1-5, pp. 81-82
F.D.S. 603, 604

4 great grandparents: Philip Sherman (baptized 2-10-1610 at Dedham, Essex Co., England d. 1687 in Portsmouth, Newport Co., RI) and Sarah Odding
Children: Eber (12-1634 in Roxbury, MA), Sarah (10-10-1636), Peleg (c.1638 at Portsmouth, RI), Mary, Edmund, Samson, William, John, Mary, Hannah, Samuel, Benjamin, Phillippa (10-1-1652)

5 great grandparents: Samuel Sherman (1-11-1572 in Dedham, Essex Co., England d. before 3-2-1615 in Ardleigh, Essex Co., England) and Phillippa
Children: Mary, Samuel (10-20-1601), Henry, Martha, Philip (2-10-1610)

6 great grandparents: Henry Sherman Jr. (d. 8-28-1610 in Dedham, Essex Co., England) and Susan Lawrence (d. 9-1610 in Dedham, Essex Co., England) Married: June 14, 1558 in Mose, Essex Co., England
Children: Phebe (5-1-1570), Henry (8-26-1571), Edmund, Samuel (1-11-1572), Anne (8-7-1575), Daniel, Nathaniel (7-11-1580), John (8-17-1585), Ezekial, Mary

7 great grandparents: Henry Sherman Sr. (d. 7-25-1590 in Dedham, Essex Co., England) and Agnes
Children: Henry Jr., Edmund, John, Thomas, Robert

1. "The Ancestors and Descendants of Philip Shearman, the first secretary and recorder of the colony of Rhode Island" by Frank Dempster Sherman, 1908. 2. R.I. Vital Records, Volume 13, p.25, North Kingstown VR, JHS-91.
3. The will of Philip Sherman was proved Mar 22, 1686/7, recorded on page 260 of "Land Evidence, 2nd Book, No. 1" Town of Portsmouth, R.I.
4. "Some of the Descendants of Philip Sherman, The First Secretary of Rhode Island" by Roy V. Sherman. 5. NY Gen & Bio, V.43, page 309 per Roy V. Sherman.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
jmmaitland 30 Mar 2013 2:54AM GMT 
jmmaitland 2 Dec 2013 5:26AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions