Search for content in message boards

St. Agatha Orphanage

Replies: 9

Re: St. Agatha Orphanage

Posted: 13 Oct 2012 4:10PM GMT
Classification: Query
Hi Jen:
Try St. Jerome's College. They have a great collection in their catacombs. The nuns if they have some spare time will help you.
I wish you luck. I was able to make a dear friend of one of the nuns. St. Agatha had a boys and girls orphange. My grandmother's youngest brother was there for about 10 years. Until he was 14. And my grandmother went to school at their school. If I remember correctly all their records went to St. Clemments Cathoic Church in St. Clemment's Ontario, Canada.

Good luck. I was very lucky because my grandmother was raised from the age of 2 by the Schneider/Deitrich family in St. Agatha until her father brought her back to MI to keep house and cook for him and her 2 brothers at about 17 years of age.
She was a beautiful woman. Well educated.

This family didn't have children of their own yet when they did she was treated like a daughter. And one of their natural daughters became a quite renown nun. Infact I had photos of this nun as a novice. I believe the conavent (School Sisters of Notre Dame) was in Watertown or Waterloo Ontario And when I was doing my rseearch I sent photo copies of this nun as a novice all the way up to a full fledged nun. I got my hands slapped figurativity speaking for having these photos. It blew me away. Evidently pictures were forbidden to be taken of these novices. Well it was the novice's own parents that sent the photos to my grandmother. I gave up for a while after that. And when I returned to my search as to why my grandmother was placed with this family instead of with members of her father's family. Then one day an old neighbor in MI and I were talking about my grandmother and her missing mother. I casually said I have no idea why my grandfather would entrust his 2 year old daughter's care to strangers. Well it turned out they weren't strangers. They were related to my great-grandparents neighbors. And wola the doors were openned for me. And I have formed many wonderful relationships on this genealogy journey. So have fun, don't give up you will be surprised at how people react to your questions. Most now realize if it wasn't for us early research they would have to break the ice with their new extended family. And believe me it is worth everything you put in it and more. We had a cousin come from France with his sweetheart for a family reunion. And he stayed with our cousin 3 times over, because I was recovering from back surgery. And lanuguage barrier and all we all had a fantastic 3 days together.
Anyways I hope that this helps. Sincerely J.Ann Audet
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
JenTrochanows... 18 Apr 2011 12:40AM GMT 
lady_doris 24 Aug 2011 4:43AM GMT 
JenTrochanows... 2 Apr 2012 2:15PM GMT 
mikeygreenman 20 Apr 2012 12:41AM GMT 
jannaudet 13 Oct 2012 10:10PM GMT 
JenTrochanows... 21 Apr 2012 2:16AM GMT 
kakieswetter 28 Jul 2012 10:20PM GMT 
1_drioux 25 Aug 2011 2:38PM GMT 
canuknaturall... 28 Jan 2012 7:33AM GMT 
jannaudet 27 Mar 2012 8:09PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions