Search for content in message boards

Orphan Train in Ohio

Replies: 0

Orphan Train in Ohio

Posted: 5 Mar 2013 10:04AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Litzenberg
Has everyone ever heard of an orphan train or orphans put on a train in Columbus, OH and transported to northwestern Ohio to help on farms? This would have been back around 1910-1915.

I was just told last night that my father, James Franklin Litzenberg, was never really adopted but that he arrived in Henry County, Ohio on the train along with other children from an orphanage in Columbus, Ohio who were dropped off to work on farms in the area. Abraham and Dora Litzenberg took him in when no one ever came to get him but never officially adopted him. He didn't know where he was from, what his name was or have any personal information. The Litzenberg's just came up with a date upon which they would celebrate his birthday - July 13, 1906. I'm wondering if July 13th may have been the day the trained dropped off the kids.

I received this information from the daughter-in-law of my dad's "step-sister" who was officially adopted by the Litzenberg's.

I will begin trying to find information about orphan trains but thought I would seek suggestions or information from others who may have been down this path.

Thanks.

Dora

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions