Search for content in message boards

Orphanage in Andover, Illinois

Replies: 17

Re: Orphanage in Andover, Illinois

Posted: 26 May 2014 12:17PM GMT
Classification: Query
Hello. I was in the Andover Orphanage from 1955 to the summer of 1958, when I was transferred to another orphanage in Normal, IL for my senior year. A lot of kids came and went during the time I was in Andover, and I don't recall very many names. Hartman doesn't ring a bell. How old were you? How long were you there? If you were of high school age during the time I mentioned you would have attended Orion High School. I don't remember where the younger children went to school, but I may be able to find out.

Your story mimics that of many of the kids who were at Andover, living here and there until either a parent or the State of IL places them at Andover, or other institutions. Others also have mixed feelings of their time spent in Andover.

What you've done with your life once you got old enough to make your own decisions speaks for you, not some label or incidents of earlier years that was out of your control. I'll never forget my hurt indignation the first time we went to a function at a fairgrounds and I heard a lady passing by tell her daughter, "Those kids are orphans." I wasn't an orphan. I had an older brother and sisters. I had a mother, somewhere.

There was at least some sense of stability, and steady meals (often missing in my early years), to remember, while I can acknowledge some less pleasant aspects of being institutionalized.

I don't know where you hope to go in your journey while you write your book. I hope you find peace, or at least understanding in the effort.

Steve Whitlock

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
freeingod1 4 Jul 2013 4:08PM GMT 
hartmant32 2 Oct 2012 10:42PM GMT 
maycreekzoo 3 Oct 2012 2:53AM GMT 
hartmant32 3 Oct 2012 9:43AM GMT 
maycreekzoo 3 Oct 2012 7:02PM GMT 
ctn59880 26 May 2014 6:17PM GMT 
mark cooper 3 Mar 2013 1:44PM GMT 
mark cooper 3 Mar 2013 1:37PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic