Search for content in message boards

Searching for Descendants of Kirill Sereda

Replies: 4

Searching for Descendants of Kirill Sereda

Posted: 22 Feb 2007 8:45PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Sereda
I am searching for the descendants of Kirill (1871-1952) and Praskovia (1884-1958) Sereda.

Born in Kharkov province, Russia, Kirill was exiled to Yakutsk, Siberia in 1896 for refusing to perform military service on account of his Stundist and Tolstoyan beliefs. There, he settled among the Doukhobors who were similarly exiled there for their refusal to perform military service.

In Siberia, Kirill married Praskovia Sergeeva, whose family had been exiled there earlier on account of their religious non-conformist beliefs. The Seredas and Doukhobors remained in the Yakutsk region of Siberia until 1905, when an Imperial Manifesto granted them amnesty.

Thereafter, the Seredas accompanied the Doukhobor exiles to Canada, where he homesteaded and settled amongst them in the Pelly-Veregin district. In the ensuing years, Kiril was an active member of the Society of Independent Doukhobors as well as the Named Doukhobors of Canada. He and his wife are buried in the Village of Veregin Cemetery.

It is known that Kirill and Praskovia Sereda had at least two sons: George (1906-1971) who is also buried in the Village of Veregin Cemetery and Mike, who is mentioned in a list of Doukhobors who performed alternate service in work camps in Northern Saskatchewan during the Second World War.

I would appreciate hearing from anyone with additional information about the descendants of this family. I have been in contact with the Sergeev family - relatives of Kirill's wife Praskovia - who are interested in re-connecting with any relatives in Canada.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Jon_Kalmakoff 23 Feb 2007 3:45AM GMT 
Jon_Kalmakoff 27 May 2007 5:48PM GMT 
flyfishin901 29 Dec 2012 4:37PM GMT 
ZlaticaBeca 30 Dec 2012 12:18AM GMT 
Jon_Kalmakoff 30 Dec 2012 2:57AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions