Search for content in message boards

Inconsistent names

Replies: 2

Inconsistent names

Posted: 16 Mar 2014 4:34PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Kamer, Brod, Brodie
My paternal grandmother was called Bertha in the U.S. Her Hebrew (Yiddish) name was Beila and I was named after her. I have found the names Itte and Itte Beila on passenger lists and naturalization papers, although without consistency.

Her death certificate and family lore says that her maiden name was Brodie, but I have seen the surname Kamer on paperwork in the combination Itte Beila Kamer.

My understanding is that the old way of naming children was to list their given name then the parent's given name, so this makes it look like Beila would be her mother's given name.

A person with the surname Brod lived with them for one census and signed as witness on their naturalization papers, but I know of no actual biological relationship. Those events were separated by years, so he was not just a casual boarder in their home. I have searched various combinations on ancestry.com, jewishgen.com, and a couple of other sites, to no avail .

Both grandma and Mr. Brod list their birthplace as Marijampol, sometimes alone, or with a country attached, or with Stanislawow, which is a district. I think I've solved the geographical part, finding a shtetl within 10 miles of Marijampol, Stanislawow (now Ukraine) that my grandfather lists as his birthplace.

Ideas of how to put this puzzle together, please?
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
30blw30 16 Mar 2014 10:34PM GMT 
Mitch Holland... 17 Mar 2014 11:07PM GMT 
30blw30 30 Mar 2014 7:18PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions