Search for content in message boards

Searching: APPEL, CREED,KRAVTSOV,KRAFTSOW, GOTTESMAN, MENDELSON,SCHOCKSTELL,WEITZ,ZELMANOWITZ

Replies: 63

Searching: APPEL, CREED,KRAVTSOV,KRAFTSOW, GOTTESMAN, MENDELSON,SCHOCKSTELL,WEITZ,ZELMANOWITZ

Posted: 16 Feb 2001 10:13AM GMT
Edited: 29 Dec 2001 10:18PM GMT
Spelling of names is problematic, as are places and of birth/origination. Gottesman & Zelmanowitz & Salamon come from the old Austrio-Hungarian empire. The families started migrating here (and to Western Europe)in about 1900. So far as we know they lived in or near villages/shtetls/towns around
unkacs,Hungary, now Obawa, Ukraine. Salamon was the maiden name of my greatgrandmother; she married Abraham Gottesman & they had at least 13 children that we know about. We have finally located a few. Schockstell, Mendelson & Weitz are my husband's parents family names. Jeremiah Weitz came from Lodz, I was told. Schockstell was fraternal grandmother's maiden name. She married Louis Mendelson, both from Riga, Latvia, we think. Moved to Georgia, USA, Washington, D.C. & possibly Wilkes-Barre, PA. There were four sons: Benjamin, Morris, Gershon (Gus) & Chester. Teresa Lillian Weitz was born in Poland & came to the States at age 14, about 1920, probably w/her two brothers, Barney & Joe. All are now deceased. Ben moved to Washington, DC & met Teresa & they were married around 1930. Two sons: Allan & Richard Mendelson. born 1932 & 1935. I am the widow of Allan. Appel is the maiden name of my father's mother, Jenny. She & Georges Creed were married in France. All but one of their 11 children were born in Paris. They emigrated to Winnipeg, Man. where the name was changed to Creed as some cousins were already there using that name. Then, they moved to the Philadelphia area, where most of my cousins now live as well. Only one uncle remains alive, 91, Fernand Creed. They were furriers, in the rag trade & in philately. Using various names, the Creed family I know is enormous. A distant cousin in Toronto is doing research on them, as well. My father, Armand, born in 1902, came over at about age 14. He met my mother in Crystal Beach, Ontario, where his sister vacationed & my grandparents had stores. They moved to Ohio, then D.C. where we were all born. My mother, Sylvia Gottesman Creed had 4 siblings, Jeannette,(died of MS in 1940's), Sydney, fought in WWII & died rather young, too, Milton, not doing to well after a stroke a year ago, lives in CA., and Anita, who lives in Detroit area. Grandparents Gottesman are buried in Windsor, Ont., where they moved in about 1940. Great grandparents of Creeds are buried just outside Philly, as are my grandparents Creed. The Mendelsons settled in Georgia & Ben alone moved to D.C. Grandpa Louis Mendelson died circa 1919; Grandma Frieda Schockstell Mendelson lived there until 1962 when she died. Morris & Gus & families still live there. If any of the names ring a bell, please let me know. I am anxious to get this done before I have to take my PC into the coffin with me. Thank you.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Acme1000 16 Feb 2001 5:13PM GMT 
richard 16 Feb 2001 9:33PM GMT 
Acme1000 17 Feb 2001 4:19AM GMT 
Richard 17 Feb 2001 6:59AM GMT 
Acme1000 17 Feb 2001 7:32AM GMT 
richard 17 Feb 2001 11:38AM GMT 
Acme1000 18 Feb 2001 6:12PM GMT 
richard 18 Feb 2001 8:47PM GMT 
Acme1000 18 Feb 2001 10:08PM GMT 
richard 19 Feb 2001 8:49AM GMT 
per page