Search for content in message boards

Jewish history of SCHOMMER family

Replies: 2

Jewish history of SCHOMMER family

Posted: 19 Jul 2013 10:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 20 Jul 2013 7:12AM GMT
Surnames: schommer
The Schommer family originated in Wahlen, District of Merzig, Province of Saarland, Diocese of Trier, Germany. Schommer was originally a Hebrew name, and from what we know, many Jews in Europe underwent a persecution around the 11th century, and at that time, many of them, including my Schommer ancestors converted to Christianity. Many of the very old church records were sent to Coblenz, Germany in WWII, and I have not seen them. Our German records on the Schommer family were taken from the church records of St. Helena's Catholic Church in Wahlen, Germany.
My great-great-great grandparents, Nikolaus Schommer and Elisabeth Mai Schommer immigrated to the US in 1853, along with their five grown children, including my great-great grandfather, Peter Schommer. They first moved to Kenosha, Wisconsin, where they lived for a number of years, but eventually, the entire Schommer family moved to Minnesota.

What Im interested to know is anything else about the original persecution/conversion in the 11th century and any records that have since been displaced. Would be very grateful to anyone for sharing anything known.

Thank you
Dillan Murray
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
3sam14 20 Jul 2013 4:00AM GMT 
mensa73 20 Jul 2013 8:08PM GMT 
mensa73 20 Jul 2013 8:08PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic