Search for content in message boards

Name Changes and Place Name

Replies: 4

Name Changes and Place Name

Posted: 27 Nov 2013 1:35PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: bernstein gascovitz
Hello, my paternal GF and GM were Thomas and Fanny Bernstein (Gascovitz) whom according to the 1901 Census were born in Cartigna (along with 4 of their children), Russia. I'd appreciate some thoughts on 2 issues, if possible.

I cannot locate a place called Cartigna and have concluded that they may be from Kretinga, Lithuania, the former Russian Empire. My logic for this is that there was a regular trade route (timber) between Kretinga and Hartlepool and there appear to have been many Bernstein families around the North East of England, Leeds and Liverpool. Without knowing for sure is it useful to work on this theory and if so how in what ways might I verify that without someone from the family telling m for sure?

Secondly, I'm presuming that their names were not Fanny and Thomas at birth and that these may have been their new adopted names on arrival. Again, is this a reasonable premis to work from and if so can anyone point me to any online resources that address the practice of name changing? How would I begin finding out what their birth names were? The familiy are Jewish but I have no contact with any living relatives on this side of my family so it's all a bit of a mystery.

I welcome any info/advice/guidance. Thanks.
L.B.
93/93
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
sunonthecross 27 Nov 2013 8:35PM GMT 
Mitch Holland... 28 Nov 2013 1:30AM GMT 
sunonthecross 29 Nov 2013 11:04AM GMT 
Mitch Holland... 29 Nov 2013 12:24PM GMT 
sunonthecross 1 Dec 2013 3:18PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions