Sizemore Sephardic Jews

Replies: 17

Re: Sizemore Sephardic Jews

Joy King (View posts)
Posted: 29 Nov 2003 9:34AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 29 Nov 2003 9:01PM GMT
Surnames: Sizemore/Sisemore
There is *nothing* in any of the Barbados records that lists *any Sizemore/Sisemore or variant* as being a Portuguese Jew! Our DNA project results *do not* indicate a Portuguese Jewish ancestor for *any* of the lines:
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~craingen/DNAindex.h...

The surname is considered English:
Smith, Elsdon C.- New Dictionary of American Family Names p.472:SIZEMORE (Eng.) Descendant of Sigmar (victory, great) dweller on the Saxon's wasteland

There are *numerous* early records of England including the following from my Sizemore Chronology:
Note JK: Found online Mar. 7, 2000:
http://www.rootsweb.com/~brbwgw/bdos1638.htm#S
Inhabitants of Barbados who possessed more than ten acres of Land in the year 1638
SISEMORE, JOHN
SISEMORE, RICHARD
SEYZEMAN, John

LDS Records - Gloucester - Rudford
RIC SIESMORE/
son JO c 31 Jul 1584
son THO “ 17 Nov 1585
dau? MAVDE “ 27 May 1589

Gloucester - Taynton
RICHARD SEISMORE/
son RICHARD c 15 Jan 1599

Gloucester - Hartpury
RICHARD SYSMORE/
son WILLIAM c 11 Nov 1599

RICHARD SIZEMORE/
son DENNIS c 10 Oct 1602

RIC SISMOR/
dau JOANE c 24 Feb 1604

RICHARD SISEMORE/
*son RICHARD c 10 Nov 1610
*son JOHN “ 27 Jan 1613
*dau DORATHYE “ 17 Jul 1617

A History of Barbados 1625-1685, Vincent T. Harlow. Pub. 1926
[from Nov.1991 issue Charleston Chapter SCGS Newsletter-The Low Country Courier].
Map insert "with the Mss Names of the Severall plantacons" has SYZMOR located in St. George Parish.

http://www.rootsweb.com/~brbwgw/bdos1657.htm
Names found on Richard Ligon's map of Barbados, 1657
Note JK: No SISEMORE, SYZMOR, etc. on this list!
JK: Email correspondence Jan. 2001:
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2001 15:07:35 -0800
Source: CARIBBEAN-L@rootsweb.com
Subject: 1638 List of Barbados settlers
LIST OF THE NAMES of the Inhabitants of Barbados, in the Year 1638 who then possess'd more than ten Acres of Land.
SEYZEMAN John
SISEMORE RICHARD SISEMORE JOHN
Subject: Re: 1638 List of Barbados settlers
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2001 18:27:53 -0500
To: "Ernest M. Wiltshire"
> Source: CARIBBEAN-L@rootsweb.com
> Subject: 1638 List of Barbados settlers Sisemore Richard- Sisemore John

I saw this list posted at http://www.rootsweb.com/~brbwgw/bdos1638.htm in Mar. of last year and am interested in the above names. No source is given for the list so I sent an e-mail to the site owner on Mar. 7th and again on Mar. 22nd, but have never received a reply. Do you know exactly what the original source is for this list????

Joy
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2001 21:06:19 -0500
Organization: Friends of the Barbados Archives
To: Joy King joybill@sccoast.net

Hello Joy: the List appears to be part of a document entitled: "Memoirs of the First Settlement of the Island of Barbados and other the Caribbee Islands, with the Succession of the Governors and Commanders in Chief of Barbados to the Year 1742, extracted from Ancient Records, Papers and Accounts taken from Mr. William Arnold, Mr. Samuel Bulkly, and Mr. John Summers, some of the First Settlers, the last of whom was alive in 1688, aged 82.
Also some Remarks on the Laws and Constitution of Barbados." London, Printed for E. Owen near Chancery Lane, Holborn, M,DCC,XLII

Ernest M. Wiltshire / Friends of the Barbados Archives
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2001 22:01:55 -0500

Thank you Ernest,
I've been trying to find this source since seeing the list online last year. I do appreciate your quick response. I've been an avid researcher since 1985 and have checked all of the books at the South Carolina Dept. of Archives and History and the Caroliniana Library in Columbia, SC, pertaining to the early records of Barbados, but have found nothing on the Sizemore/Sisemore surname. Actually I'm a Swords descendant and the Thomas Sword on the 1638 list is also intriguing and also not listed in any other Barbados record that I've seen.

I do have another question. In 1991 the Charleston Chapter of SCGS published some info in their newsletter taken from, A History of Barbados 1625-1685, written by Vincent T. Harlow, pub. 1926. It also contained a map insert "with the Mss Names of the Severall plantacons", which has SYZMOR located in St. George Parish. I haven't been able to locate a copy of this book in all of these years and wonder if you know anything about it? The Advanced Book Exchange does have some of Mr. Harlow's books listed on their web site, but not this one.

Again, thank you for your help.

Joy King
Pawleys Island, SC
Subject: Re: Harlow
Date: Sat, 06 Jan 2001 00:40:30 -0500
To: Joy King <joybill@sccoast.net>

Hello Joy: I do own a copy of the book: "A History of Barbados, 1625-1685", by Vincent T. Harlow, Oxford, at the Clarendon Press 1926. It is a first edition, and I think quite rare; I do not think it has ever been reprinted. But the map insert is actually a reproduction of the Ligon map of Barbados (from "A True and Exact History of the Island of Barbados" by Richard Ligon, London, 1657). and it is probably easier to find a modern reprint of the Ligon. The Syzmor name does not appear in the Index. and I do not find it (or variants) in the Indices to the Barbados Wills (to 1725). Nothing in Marriages or Baptisms either.

Was there something in particular in the Harlow book that I could look up or copy for you? Let me know. Ernest
Date: Sat, 06 Jan 2001 09:44:59 -0500
To: Joy King <joybill@sccoast.net>

Oops! Left out the important bit: the author of the "Memoirs..." (and List) was William DUKE, the clerk of the House of Assembly, who first published the 100 page book in Barbados in 1741. Second edition London 1743. Reprinted in Bdos 1891. For more details, see Handler's "Guide to Source Materials for the study of Barbados History", page 30.
Subject: Re: Harlow & Ligon
Date: Sat, 06 Jan 2001 13:57:03 -0500

Thanks again Earnest,

The ABE book search does show two copies of the Ligon book, one is a 1998 reprint for $60.00 and the other is a Second Edition for $3,000.00! Needless to say, if I decide to order, it will be the reprint. I do appreciate all of your help, I guess it's true that all things do come to those who wait.

I'm not surprised you didn't find any Sizemore, or variants, in the index of Harlow's book or the other Indices. The only question I have is the time span between the 1638 list and the map by Ligon showing Syzmor. The ABE description of the Second Edition includes the following:

"Richard Ligon (d.1662), first visited Barbados in 1647, he found the island much better planted than Colt did, but the fields were only partially cleared,with provision crops planted between the boughs of the felled trees, and he still could not travel around much because of poor roads and impassable thickets and gullies. Ligon lived in Barbados for 3 years (until 1650). He drew the present map which is the earliest we have of Barbados."

My question, if he drew this map between 1647 & 1650 is the Syzmor name on the map the Richard and/or John Sisemore of the 1638 list? If so, this would mean they were there for at least 9 to 12 years. Do you know of any records that would have been generated during this time period? Even if they went back to England, wouldn't they have had an overseer on the property with land still being in the Syzmor name?

Joy
Note JK: Did not receive a response to this message!
Subject: Re: Ligon book
Date: Sun, 07 Jan 2001 15:44:19 -0500

Hello Earnest,
Just wanted to let you know that I ordered a copy of Ligon's book from Barnes & Noble.com, cost $42.50 + $4.48 shipping. They have it in stock so it should arrive within 3-6 days. It's also available from Amazon.com, same price, but since they don't stock it their shipping time is 4-6 weeks. This was the same problem with ordering it from my local Barnes & Nobles.
Thank you again for your help,
Joy

I do intend to post my entire Sizemore Chronology to the Sizemore DNA project site but under my present circumstances it will take a little longer than I expected to find the time to do this.

Joy

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
sephardicsize... 29 Nov 2003 6:24AM GMT 
Joy King 29 Nov 2003 4:34PM GMT 
brian hall 29 Nov 2003 6:02PM GMT 
Joy King 29 Nov 2003 9:17PM GMT 
Brian 29 Nov 2003 10:28PM GMT 
SEARCH_N_4_MY... 11 May 2010 1:16PM GMT 
jasche 11 May 2010 1:28PM GMT 
SEARCH_N_4_MY... 11 May 2010 1:42PM GMT 
Jack 13 Apr 2004 1:23PM GMT 
Melv25 4 Aug 2008 1:24PM GMT