Search for content in message boards

French Canadien names

Replies: 15

Re: French Canadian names

Michele Doucette (View posts)
Posted: 27 Nov 2005 7:35AM GMT
Classification: Query
Hello Kimberley,

I have noticed that you make reference to locating surnames on Deborah's page ......

ABEL
ANDRE
ARNAUD
AUBERT
AUBRY
BARBIER
BARRE
BAUDRY
BENOIT
BERNARD
BESNIER
BINET
BOURGEOIS

In reference to your list, this is the first that I have seen reference to Andre, Aubert, Barbier, Barre, Baudry, Benoit, Bernard, Besnier and Bourgeois. Might you be able to direct me to a listing of these surnames with claims to their being of Jewish descent?

I am of both French Canadian and Acadian descent. I had visited a surnames page at http://isfsp.org/ that no longer appears to be available.

I sent them an email stating connections to severaI of the surnames they had listed, namely;

PATERNAL SIDE
Bernard, Doucet/Doucette, Gauthier, Lefebvre, Martin.

MATERNAL SIDE
Albert, Bernard, Blanchard, Caplan, Doucet/Doucette, Lambert, Lefebvre, Mallet (my GG grandmother), Martin, Michaud, Moreau, Paquet, Picard, Richard, Rousseau, Thomas, Venelle, Vincent.

On the same website I had noticed an Andry surname listed as well as a Landy. This made me wonder about a similar name ... Landry.

I noticed Blanc and this made me wonder if there could be some connection to LeBlanc.

I noticed Braude and wonderered if it could possibly be a derivative of Breau, Brau, Brault and Bro.

I wondered if Forrest could possibly be connected to either Forest or de Forest?

I wondered if Gueron could be connected to Guérin.

I wondered if Leclercq could be connected to LeClerc.

I wondered if Morantz could be connected to Morant.

Lastly, I wondered if Robine could be connected to Robin.

I have been told that many surnames ending in eau might actually be Jewish. Might any of you be able to make comment?

On another note, has anyone been able to make a Jewish connection to the Muise surname?

In keeping with the list posted at http://www.familytreedna.com/public/canadiananusim/,I am able to connect to

PATERNAL SIDE
Brun, Dugas (?), Martin, Robichaud (?)

MATERNAL SIDE
Bernard, Brun, Dugas (?), Durand, Duval, Lambert, Larocque, Mallet, Martin, Moreau.

In retrospect, it gets very confusing because there are so many different lists. Hoping that someone here can point me in the right direction. At some point, I hope to be able to purchase a DNA kit (US funds) in order to more fully participate in the Canadian Anuism project.

Kind Regards,
Ms. Michele Doucette
Newfoundland, Canada
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
kimgaylord1 19 Jul 2004 5:12AM GMT 
Donalyn 26 Jul 2004 9:46PM GMT 
Donalyn 26 Jul 2004 10:41PM GMT 
kimgaylord1 1 May 2005 5:36PM GMT 
LiLamb61 6 Jan 2005 1:07AM GMT 
kimgaylord1 1 May 2005 5:28PM GMT 
kimgaylord1 3 May 2005 2:00AM GMT 
Michele Doucette 27 Nov 2005 2:35PM GMT 
Deborah 27 Nov 2005 4:26PM GMT 
Michele Doucette 27 Nov 2005 9:27PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions