From the Fresno Bee, Thursday, January 29, 1948, Front page, page 1 & 2:
Fresno Man, Remorseful After Crash Which Hurt Two Persons, Hangs Self
Jack Bizieff, 38, a Fresno area rancher, apparently unnerved and remorseful after fleeing the scene of a hit and run accident in which he was involved a few hours earlier, hanged himself last night in the garage at this home at 1236 Bond Street.
His body was found hanging from an electric light cord while the police were seeking him as the man who fled on foot, waving his arms in a frenzied manner, after two men were injured in the hit and run accident. The police said he had a previous record of traffic arrests.
Body Found by Son
Bizieff’s body was discovered by a son, Jack, Jr., 15, who began a search when his father failed to return home.
There was no suicide note, but Deputy Coroner H.K. Doty said Bizieff undoubtedly took his own life. He said the man appeared to have jumped from a trunk after looping the light cord around his neck.
The police said Bizieff’s car crashed into the rear end of another automobile at the Blackstone Avenue Santa Fe crossing at 6:40 p.m.
The injured men are G. E. Storrs, 27 of 2532 Vassar Terrace, , A Hotel Fresno clerk, who is in the St. Agnes Hospital, with a badly crushed right leg, and O.C. Hart, 29, of The Pines, Bass Lake, who suffered three rib fractures and bruises about the knees.
Two Men Caught Between Cars
The Storrs and Hart automobiles, stopped for a train to pass, had locked bumpers. The two men were between the cars trying to disengage them when Bizieff’s machine struck the rear of the Hart auto. The crash caught Storrs and Hart between the two cars.
The court records show Bizieff was convicted or pleaded guilty to three drunken driving charges in the past four years. Last Summer he was given two county road camp terms and placed on six months probation for drunken driving and operating an automobile while his driver’s license was suspended.
Bizieff was born in New York City but has lived in the Fresno district most of his life. He was operating a farm in Madera County at the time of his death.
His other survivors include his widow, Mrs. Jeanne Bizieff; a son, William; a daughter, Luba; his mother, Mrs., Rachel Bizieff of Kerman, and four brothers, William of Fresno, Dave and Morris of Kerman and Michael of Huron.
The funeral services will be conducted Saturday at 11 a.m. in the Russian Molokan Christian Church in Kerman. Burial will be in Belmont Memorial Park. The Yost & Webb Mortuary is in charge of funeral arrangements.
From my file:
CADI: BIZIEFF JACK NICK 1911 05 11 KASAROFF BIZIEFF MALE CA FRESNO 1948 01 28 36
Spouse: Jennie Volkoff; married about 1929 (per 1930 census)
Known children: Jack, Luba, William
1. Jack (1931-2001) married Barbara June Eugene (1931-1990)
2. Luba married Clarence I. Matthews on 25 Oct 1958 in Las Vegas, Nevada = Kimberly
3. William: (1940-2000) married Linda G. Fraser or McGowan on 26 Mar 1983 in Tuolumne County, CA
Parents: Nicholas John Bizieff (abt 1886-1940) and Rachel Kaseroff (1885-1969)
Known children: Jack, William, David, Manya, Vera, Morris, Michael
1. Jack (1911-1948) married Jennie Volkoff about 1929 (per 1930 census) = Jack, Luba, William
2. William (1914-1998) married Mary E. Prohoroff (1915-2000) = Helen, Faith, William, Robert
3. David (1919-1953) – no other information
4. Manya married John Alex Ivan Eli Nazaroff (1912-1994) = Tanya, John, Mary, Pearl, Allen
5. Vera (abt 1924 - ) no other information
6. Morris (1925-1993) married Dolores Ferguson on 12 Apr 1953 in Las Vegas, Clark, Nevada – no other information
7. Michael (1927-1958) no other information
Additions, corrections and/or updates are appreciated.
Nancy Poppin Posey