Search for content in message boards

Mt. Moriah Primitive BaptistChurch and Ochlocknee P.B. Association. Ga./Fl. 1830-1850s

Replies: 4

Re: Mt. Moriah Primitive BaptistChurch and Ochlocknee P.B. Association. Ga./Fl. 1830-1850s

Posted: 5 Jun 2008 10:27AM GMT
Classification: Query
Lisa,many thanks for the info on the folks involved in Mt. Moriah/ Ochlocknee P.B. Assoc. Things are looking up on my research efforts, still have much to do but hit pay dirt yesterday. I recieved a reply to a mail on the Jefferson County,fl. Rootsweb message board that provided the exact location of Mt. Moriah Church and Cemetery. It was located about five miles northeast of Monticello,Fl., off St. Rd. 149. Have located some minutes from Ochlocknee Assoc. but need more. Also have had good luck in searching census records and have located nearly all of the charter members of Liberty Church. Also located its early preachers and deacons. One of the preaches that helped establish the church had four wives and 19 children. Since my family has lived since the 1820s on the Ga/Fl line I am familar with the boundry disagreements but doubt that it made any difference. Churches on both sides of the line frequently joined associations in the other state. Preachers, nearly all of them, served more than one church and frequently in both states. Assuming that you are interested in more on Nancy Ann Cone Hagan, I recommend two sources:1. Google for "Ed Cone's Home Page" for detailed, mostly correct,info on Nancy's famiy and location.( She did not die in Brooks, Co. as it was not formed until 1858.)2. The book "Creating an Old South, Middle Florida's Plantation Frontier before the Civil War", by Edward E. Baptist has a good bit of info on Nancy. It is well worth the cost if you are interested. It is a avilable in used book stores on line. The book,"Ante-Bellum Thomas County,1825-1861 has a bit of info on her association with Liberty, as does the book," History of Brooks County Georgia, 1859-1948". It is very evident that most of these books are derived from the same source as they all have the same mistaken name for Liberty's first preacher..they list R.J. May...his name was clearly Mays. He was a very rich slave owner who built Clifton Plantation House in Madison County, Fl., owned thousands of acres. Anyway, its fun and I am grateful for your info and interest. Ed King
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
edwinking1 19 May 2008 3:00PM GMT 
crackersprout 26 May 2008 2:03PM GMT 
edwinking1 26 May 2008 3:26PM GMT 
crackersprout 2 Jun 2008 2:18AM GMT 
edwinking1 5 Jun 2008 4:27PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions