Search for content in message boards

I think my Great Gran lied about her name?

Replies: 15

I think my Great Gran lied about her name?

Posted: 23 Jan 2010 8:24PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Robeson,Britton,Kohal,Emery,Zunino
When I started my tree I interviewed my family and was told that my great grandmother's name was Laura Botton,that's all they knew.For years I searched and finally I found her on the 1900 census in Montana,1st I wasn't able to find her or her husband because the surname was recorded incorrectly,(ROLENSON instead of Robeson)then I see that she states to the census taker that she thinks she was born around 1862,then it says she does not know who her parents are and that she was in the foundling asylum of New York.Then my grandma (her daughter) is interviewed and by an author writing about the early pioneers of Montana that her mom born abt 1862 Kankakee,Illinois.So now I have conflicting place names and dates,becasue also in the interview my grandma says that her mom came to Montana a young woman of 28 which means she met and married my great grandfather all in the same year,that I can understand,but I have searched every which way I know and can find nothing.I have been unable to place her anywhere with anyone at all.Laura Ellsworth Britton just pops up in Montana and marries Daniel M Robeson,an early pioneer of Montana.Also stated in the interview by my grandma that Laura comes to Montana with a Miss Mary J Clark from Indiana later Mrs M M McDonald,if I estimate from 1862 that puts Laura and Mary coming to Montana in about 1890,but I have been told that Mary Clark McDonald was in Montana way before 1890.I have search her name upside down,different years,etc and still nothing.What I do know is Laura is buried in Nye Cemetery in Fishtail,Montana,she died Nov of 1901,and yet again the person who holds the records for that cemetery looked and that all it says!!I have even spoken to the ancestor (son) of the man who bought Daniel Robeson farm in 1913 and he confirmed that indeed he heard stories of Laura and Daniel,but he didn't know anything more.My grandama,Jessie M Robeson was born in red Lodge in 1893 but yet again her birth record was destroyed in a fire and she had to get help with her mother's vital statistics,I was told that Jessie wrote to someone in Illinois for the information and she received whatever info she needed.All this took place in the early 1960's.My grandma has passed on many years ago and I never really knew her because I was still quite small when she died and her estate was taken care of by her daughter.That daughter states that my grandma had nothing in her home,no pictures or letters,nothing.I really find that hard to believe but Im not going to argue with her about it.And I definely know I do not have enough info to even consider writing the foundling asylum hospital yet and I am at a loss at what to try next,but there is no Laura Ellswoth Britton,and no Laura Britton that even gets close to mine.And yes I know you just don't type in a name and get a result,but I have been at this a long time.There was one other thing on that census,there was a young man named Vernon Valentine Emery born 14 Feb 1887 in Polk County Nebraska and he is listed as nephew to the head of the household.As far as I know the Emery name isn't in our family,I don't know where he came from.I have researched him as well hoping to make some kind of connection but I cannot find it.I am not sure if he is nephew to Daniel or to Laura.After 1900 Vernon V Emery is in the 1910 census in California with a Charles and Hattie Emery and a William Emery,then he marries Annie Zunino born 1904 Idaho, and they are in 1920 and 1930.Vernon V Emery is in both wars and then he dies in Washington County,Oregon in 1977 and is buried in the Golden Gate Cemetery with his wife Annie.Vernon and annie do have 2 daughters Florrence and Dorothay. On Veron V Emery's census for 1920 and 1930 he doesn't seem to know where his father is from and I still haven't figured out exactly who his mother is,and why he was at my great grandfathers home in 1900,no one in my family even recognizes the name at all.I have even tried finding Florrence and or Dorothay but couldn't.There was one other thing I just recently found in the news paper section from Illinois,it was about the Springfeild Home For The Friendless and it talks about how the home got started and who the first matron was for that home,a Mrs Nancy J Britton.My problem is the names are common so I don't know if Im looking a the right people or not and Britton is Nancy's married name.I do know she does become a widow at some point and I can also find her in the directory but not on a census.And that she had 2 children.So what Im asking does anyone have any advice at what I should try next??
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
lrcarter985 24 Jan 2010 3:24AM GMT 
rel8ively 25 Jan 2010 8:55PM GMT 
lrcarter985 26 Jan 2010 12:15PM GMT 
Guambaby 7 Mar 2010 10:50PM GMT 
Guambaby 7 Mar 2010 11:10PM GMT 
Guambaby 7 Mar 2010 11:11PM GMT 
Guambaby 8 Mar 2010 1:33AM GMT 
lrcarter985 8 Mar 2010 4:20PM GMT 
Guambaby 10 Mar 2010 3:30PM GMT 
lrcarter985 9 Mar 2010 11:58PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions