Search for content in message boards

"Otherwise" in a surname

Replies: 7

Re: "Otherwise" in a surname

Posted: 6 Oct 2010 3:39AM GMT
Classification: Query
Hi Dave,

I think there must be lots of different reasons for using "otherwise" in this context, but possibly the reason Ann Littler was otherwise known as Watson is because her mother married, either for the first time or when she'd been widowed, after Ann was born. There was no formal adoption process in the UK until the 1920s, so changing a child's surname was voluntary before then.

John Catchpole otherwise John Catchpole Stanford could have been born illegitimately to a mother with the surname Stanford, who later married the father who had the surname Catchpole. If a couple had a child out of wedlock, but they were pretty sure they would later get married, the child was very often given the surname of the father as a middle name, so that the surname of the mother could just be dropped once the father & mother were married.

As I say, these are just possible explanations - there could be many more, but I hope it helps.

Christine
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
oldlag_dts 5 Oct 2010 9:01PM GMT 
BelleRinger 6 Oct 2010 9:39AM GMT 
oldlag_dts 6 Oct 2010 8:46PM GMT 
BelleRinger 6 Oct 2010 9:47PM GMT 
BelleRinger 6 Oct 2010 9:48PM GMT 
oldlag_dts 6 Oct 2010 11:04PM GMT 
BelleRinger 7 Oct 2010 12:56PM GMT 
oldlag_dts 7 Oct 2010 3:42PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions