Search for content in message boards

Is this the same family

Replies: 4

Re: Is this the same family

Posted: 18 Jan 2012 6:11AM GMT
Classification: Query
Hi Amelia,

Thanks for your help.
I do subscribe to Scotlands People & have a birth for Janet on 27 July 1871 at what looks like 2 or 3 East Shaw Street, Greenock. It shows George as Journeyman Cooper & Bridget, formerly Matthews, as her mother.
Though on the 1891 census where Mary is listed as her mothers name it says born in Liverpool, I guess that depends sometimes on who is giving the information for the census as I've come across similar things in other parts of my research.

Like you, I found George & Mary on the 1911 census but had dismissed it as 'Mary' gave Galway as her birth place. However I think you may be right about the Irish immigration point and with this George being formerly a Cooper it does seem to fit.

Onto the Hansens. My paternal grandfather was William. My parents divorced when I was quite young so I didn't have a close relationship with that side of my family. But my father always told me his father had run away to England from Denmark, stowed away I think.

When I started research & obtained a copy of his death cert it said he was born in Liverpool which totally threw me off the scent for a while. Eventually I sent for a copy of his birth cert & sure enough he was born 12 August 1901 at 18 Ruskin Street, Kirkdale, Liverpool. Parents, Janet & Henry Hansen. Also present at birth was Mary.
The Ruskin Street address is given as Mary's residence so I assumed either she was staying with her daughter or her daughter with her at the time of birth.
The confusing thing is that on the 1901 census Janet & her family were living at 9 Melrose avenue,Kirkdale & her parents George & Bridget were living at 24 Lamb Street, Kirkdale.

Anyway everything was starting to make sense re my grandfather when I found their marriage & that Hans Sofhus Bernhard Hausen (on their marriage cert) was a Danish subject (able seaman). Somewhere between 1891 & 1901 he became Henry Hansen.
I've found a possible death for Janet in 1902. I think, even if this is not her, the family went to live in Denmark before the 1911 census.
My grandfather allegedly came to England to find work. He married my grandmother in 1927 at which time he was in the Royal Tank Corps & stationed close to where they eventually settled in Surrey. My grandmother was from nearby Hampshire. In 1928 when my father was born William was a Hotel 'Boots' and they were living in the West Riding of Yorkshire.
I need to investigate how they came to be there. Perhaps he had some relatives in the area or maybe it was just where they happened to be when he left the army.

Thanks once again for your help. If you think of anything else please let me know.

Best regards Bernadette
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
catmrs1959 11 Jan 2012 6:34PM GMT 
ameliamarden 17 Jan 2012 11:50PM GMT 
catmrs1959 18 Jan 2012 1:11PM GMT 
ameliamarden 18 Jan 2012 1:57PM GMT 
catmrs1959 18 Jan 2012 3:22PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic