Search for content in message boards

Resources for Revolutionary War Soldier?

Replies: 1

Resources for Revolutionary War Soldier?

Posted: 23 Jun 2013 12:15PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Bowen Malone
Hello,

For around 10 years I was stuck at my 4th great grandfather, Adam Bowen, who was in a County where courthouse records had burned. I suspected his father was Daniel Bowen for a long time and just last year I finally proved who his father was by accidentally discovering Adam's brothers who had genealogical evidence in their Civil War Pension files.

Now that I've found proof that his parents were Daniel Bowen and Mary Dotson, I cannot find much at all about them except what is in the three sons' pension records, which is pretty vague. Daniel and Mary married in Lawrence County, Ohio in January 1826, they were born around 1800, and probably born in Virginia, and probably died in the 1840s. I can also only find him in one census, 1830 living in Elizabeth twp, Lawrence County.

Despite the lack of documentation on Daniel, I believe I know who his father was, but want proof. The census before the one I found Daniel in, 1820, there is a Michael Bowen living in the same twp Daniel was 10 years later. This Michael has three sons, one of which is the right age to be my Daniel. Other researchers believe he also is the father of a Michael Bowen and Sarah "Sally" Bowen Malone, but no absolute proof either. Daniel Bowen, Michael (the younger), and Sarah are all about the same age, all probably born in Virginia, and all were married by the same justice of the peace in Lawrence County in the 1820s. This leads me to believe they were siblings, but again nothing *absolute.*

I began researching the elder Michael Bowen and discovered he was a Revolutionary soldier in the Pennsylvania line. I found his pension file on fold3.com, and read it through but it never mentions any of his children's or his first wife's name (he remarried Anna Crank in the 1820s after the mother of his children died, and then they moved to Illinois where he died in 1830 (he lived in Wabash County, Illinois in the 1830 census months before his death), all according to the pension record).

I'm not really sure where to go from here and am just wondering what other resources there are I could pursue to find out more about Michael? I'm trying to find anything that might tie him to any of these children. He did own land in Lawrence County at some point because he mentions being forced to sell it, but I have no located records on this.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
hbowen871 23 Jun 2013 6:15PM GMT 
east3021 9 Aug 2013 8:12PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions