Search for content in message boards

Stuck on Polish Ancestors Please help!

Replies: 10

Stuck on Polish Ancestors Please help!

Posted: 17 Aug 2013 9:19PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Alejski, Androsink, Krystyniak, Ulejski
Hi everyone, I have been researching my family history for my grandparents and I am coming up short on finding any information on my grandfather’s family. I was hoping someone more advanced in their searching abilities may be able to help! Here is what I know:

My grandfather’s name is Theodore Ray Alejski (born 1937 in Hamtramck MI), and his family is from Poland. His father’s name is Theodore Alejski (no middle name). I believe his birthdate to be Nov. 1, 1886 in Posen. Grandpa’s mother’s name was Tekla Alice (went by Alice). She was also born in Poland.

This is where it gets REALLY confusing. Both of my grandfather’s parents were married before, and had children with their other spouses. Apparently my Great-Grandfather loved his name. . . because he named several of his kids Theodore Alejski (with or without a middle name). This has made my search very difficult. Apparently, someone has records mixed up between the Theodores, because the documents I find that match MY grandfather’s birthdate say he was born in Pennsylvania, which is not true. One of his brothers (Theodore) was, but also died as a child, maybe even an infant. There was another Theodore born who was a half-brother.

This is what I know:
Theodore Alejski (1886) was married to Minnie Alejski. They had children together, I do not know all of their names but there was a Theodore and a Florence. I believe they came to US as a couple, from Poland.

Tekla’s maiden name was Krystyniak, and her other spouse was named Trofhion Androsink. They had several children, I do not know if I have them all named here, but I know of: Helen, Edward, John, and Chester.

Tekla and Theodore married and had my grandfather, Theodore.

Somewhere in there there was another Theodore as my grandpa had an adult living brother with the same name, and a deceased brother with the same name. Different mothers I believe, but can’t be sure.

I know that at some point this family was in Pennsylvania, but later moved to the Hamtramck/Detroit Michigan area.

Add to this the fact that there may have been a spelling/pronunciation change to the last name at some point. I’ve seen it spelled Ulejski, but this could be an error on the part of whoever was documenting.

I am struggling with finding anything that extends beyond what my grandfather already knows. His family was very secretive and not open about their heritage. They weren’t a very close bunch. Every time I get on ancestry.com’s worldwide search, I have difficulty picking up anything with my search words. Beyond that, I cannot read Polish. Many of the records are in Polish, and many of them are about WWII and concentration camps, which really isn’t where I need to be looking (to my knowledge).

Can anyone help? I would love to find manifest documents, birth certificates, death certificates (I have this information for Tekla), marriage dates, childrens names, and trace our ancestors back a few generations beyond my grandfather if at all possible!

Thank you
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
arahkola80 18 Aug 2013 3:19AM GMT 
barbdale_1 19 Aug 2013 1:22AM GMT 
arahkola80 19 Aug 2013 5:22AM GMT 
barbdale_1 19 Aug 2013 1:34AM GMT 
arahkola80 19 Aug 2013 5:28AM GMT 
barbdale_1 19 Aug 2013 1:44AM GMT 
arahkola80 19 Aug 2013 5:24AM GMT 
barbdale_1 19 Aug 2013 6:06AM GMT 
ZlaticaBeca 19 Aug 2013 12:42PM GMT 
halpark 19 Aug 2013 10:45PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions