Search for content in message boards

John Browne Hope (1898-1930)

Replies: 10

John Browne Hope (1898-1930)

Posted: 17 Jan 2014 2:02PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Hope, Best
Hello everyone! I am fairly new to genealogy and just began tapping into the resources on Ancestry.com for building out my family tree! I have hit a bit of a brick wall for one of my relatives, partly because his name was so common in London, partly because he was a domestic servant and did not seem to be a part of a "traditional" household captured in censuses, and also because he died quite young - approx. 32 years of age.

I wonder if anyone might have ideas for other resources to look into, or perhaps documents I might purchase that could shed additional information on my search and help me break through this brick wall!!

My great grandfather was named "John Browne Hope." He was British, born around 1898 and died in 1930. He married Irene Florence Elizabeth Best in the summer of 1924 and they had one child, my grandfather, Anthony John Hope, born 5 Jun 1925 at the Dudley House on Beaumont Street (although many records, including his birth certificate, list him as John Anthony).

John Browne Hope's marriage, son's birth and death all happened in the Marylebone district of London, so he may also have been born there, although I have not located his birth certificate yet. The birth certificate for my grandfather mentions his father was a domestic butler, and an address is listed as 1 Seaford Court, 220 Great Portland Street, St. Marylebone.

There seem to have been several dozen John Hopes born in England between 1895 and 1899, but I have located only a couple of John B Hopes. One of them was John Beresford Hope, and many of the public trees on Ancestry.com link him to my great grandmother Irene Best, but I believe they have taken an incorrect leap of faith connecting Irene to Beresford, because I have a copy of my grandfather's birth certificate listing his middle name as Browne, not Beresford. (http://i.imgur.com/xuwWmxh.jpg)

So far I have located only a couple supporting documents. In addition to the birth certificate linked above, John Browne Hope married Irene Florence Elizabeth Best in the summer of 1924 and their marriage is listed under both Irene Best and John B. Hope in the Apr-May-Jun 1924 England & Wales Marriage Index. I also located what I believe is his death listing for Jun 1930 in the Apr-May-Jun 1930 England & Wales Death Index.

I came across yesterday a 1911 census for the "Ainsworth" household that lists a John Hope, aged 13, born in Marylebone, London - living with possibly a sister? - Ellen Hope, aged 16, born in Hammersmith, London. Mary Ainsworth is listed as the head of the household, a 70 year widow living with her son Albert, 26 and nephew William, 17. Ellen and John are listed as boarders in the household. Ellen is listed as a domestic servant, and since John was working as a domestic butler by the time of his marriage in 1924, I thought perhaps this was the right John Hope. If by such a young age they are already in someone else's household, I suspected this may be why it has been so difficult finding many family records for them.

Thank you again and any help or points in new directions would be extremely appreciated! My last name is Hope and this is the only line that carries that name, but it has proven incredibly difficult to trace the Hope lineage any further back than three generations so far.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Michael Hope 17 Jan 2014 9:02PM GMT 
thecurzons1 18 Jan 2014 1:05PM GMT 
Michael Hope 19 Jan 2014 1:30AM GMT 
thecurzons1 19 Jan 2014 11:37AM GMT 
Michael Hope 20 Jan 2014 7:53AM GMT 
thecurzons1 20 Jan 2014 6:56PM GMT 
Michael Hope 20 Jan 2014 7:21PM GMT 
Michael Hope 22 Feb 2014 10:05PM GMT 
fiddlerslass 27 Feb 2014 9:53AM GMT 
fiddlerslass 27 Feb 2014 9:59AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions