Search for content in message boards

Problems with US City Directories on Ancestry (1) - OCR "Directories indexing" Awful

Replies: 0

Problems with US City Directories on Ancestry (1) - OCR "Directories indexing" Awful

Posted: 30 Apr 2012 1:51PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 17 May 2012 5:12AM GMT
Have corrected hundreds of errors in the directories.
OCR speeds up the ability to get the information out But the poor Quality is inexcusable.

Their are OCR programs which have a learning ability which could be employed. Many are the same errors over and over.. OCR doesn't recognize alpha numeric combinations well. Surnames Garbled and unsearchable, addresses with lost/dropped digits, and Spouse not included with no ability to enter a update/addition

I realize the format of City Directories makes it difficult to categorize etc. but ancestry.com is providing sloppy service with the current output... IMHO

An entire Massey family Group, 3 families; George A, Bertha, George D, Marilyn R, Thomas H, Lottie M, and Wilma J is missing from page index..

Martin Surname Missing from many entries I fixed a few but Garbled surnames after Mase are beyond my endurance threshold. ancestry.com OCR is junk

http://search.ancestry.com/Browse/View.aspx?dbid=2469&pa...

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions