Search for content in message boards

Help! Does this genealogist sound legitimate?

Replies: 7

Re: Help! Does this genealogist sound legitimate?

Posted: 11 Oct 2013 5:15PM GMT
Classification: Query
Thanks so much for the reply Carol! This researcher advertised on her website a service of finding ancestors for a flat rate of $49 and siblings/spouses of $24. I didn't realize when I sent in the request that it was a cost for each ancestor, and I left the sibling/spouses box unchecked, so I thought the cost was going to be limited. She did send me a breakdown saying she had found:
"Generally I have found 12 new direct ancestors, 14 siblings and spouses and quite a number of their children (their data is for free). The total cost of this part of the research is then 12*$49 + 14*$24 = $924."
Prior to the trip she asked what I was looking for and I told her I was looking to fill a whole tree, but first needed to find out the origins of my grandfather. Her trip to Tarnow was intended to see if he lived in the area where his wife was born, but prior to the trip I learned he was from Ratulow and she would need to visit Kracow for the records. She had already planned the Tarnow trip and so she went there.
After her request for payment I forwarded her about 1/4 of it and requested just my great grandmother's information and her parents and grandparents. She sent me a photograph copy of the birth record for my grandmother and 2 of her siblings. I'm not sure what to make of the experience yet. All of the documents were probably in the same diocese and I'm sure the biggest expense was probably getting there.
If you get a chance, take a look at her web site and see if it clear to you what I should be getting. I clicked something called the Platinum plan which was supposed to include a lot of free things. I certainly thought I would be getting more information than just one picture for $49....On the other hand, I know you researchers need expenses to operate and just don't know what is reasonable?
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
vrezula 9 Oct 2013 8:44AM GMT 
ABiyT13 11 Oct 2013 10:10PM GMT 
vrezula 11 Oct 2013 11:15PM GMT 
ABiyT13 12 Oct 2013 5:17PM GMT 
vrezula 12 Oct 2013 7:05PM GMT 
ABiyT13 12 Oct 2013 8:58PM GMT 
vrezula 15 Oct 2013 5:35AM GMT 
ABiyT13 16 Oct 2013 1:22PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic